AW: AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [CS Bureau] Next GFC Meetings

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 12:07:12 BST 2005

Dear all,
 At the end of the last "open meeting" of the GFC on june 13, following
repeated requests from civil society for the possibility of attending as
silent onlookers during the next "closed" meetings on June 27 and the
following two meetings in July, President Karklins said explicitely, "I
heard no objection to the presence of civil society and private sector
actors as silent observers during the upcoming meetings and provided there
is no objection from the Bureau, we will do so".
 My information is that was implicitly the case and that some people did
sneak in quietly without being expelled.
 I am afraid we should not have raised the issue formally and sould have
tried to sneak in as well.
 Still, the problem remains. The more we ask for a formal decision, the most
likely there will be a negative answer.
 Therefore my suggestion is a direct contact with Karklins to check whether
the meeting of the 27 was indeed attended by some silent observers and to
indicate that we intend to have at least one person attending in a quiet and
discrete mode during the next two meetings.
 Best
 Bertrand