[WSIS CS-Plenary] What's going on ? "CS" Press release and "CS"-Private sector joint statement

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Fri Mar 4 07:00:29 GMT 2005

Dear All

I agree with Parminder. I was not at the CS - PS meeting, but I am
willing to trust that those who were reached an agreement and went
forward in the context of the agreement.

Whilst full participation is absolutely desirable, it is not always
effective. Strategically speaking, it is important to have
participation in the development of substantive civil society policy
output, but it is not effective to have full participation in process
matters that call for fast action.

Two cases in point. The press release needed to go out at the ITU Press
Conference on the last day of PrepCom 2. The Bureau to Bureau summary
needed to go out the day after the meeting. By the time the press
release went out, the media interest was over. By the time the bureau
to bureau document was ready, governments had already agreed on a text
for modalities.

It is always hard to strike a balance between full participation and
effectiveness. There is skill, maturity  and a requirement of trust
involved in knowing the difference. There is also no reason why an
initial response - sent in a timely manner, cannot reserve space for a
consultative position to follow. The process does not wait for
stakeholders who need more time to reach consensus. This isn't to say
it shouldn't, but it doesn't. The way to win over more and more
interaction between stakeholders is to deliver quality input in the
required time frame and follow it up with more because it is absolutely
pertinent to state that CS works in a more consultative way and
requires more time.

This situation is best expressed in Zulu - walala wasala. It means if
you snooze you lose.

Tracey

Dear All,

This is regarding the joint CS - business sector statement.

In the meeting between the civil society and business representatives
during the prepcom on 23/2, ìt was agreed that in terms of involvement
of non-government players in the WSIS process, and the later
implementation, civil society and business reps can work on joint
strategies. The specifics of the content of such a strategy in regard to
a call for open and inclusive approach to consultations and
implementation was also agreed.

The issue of a statement to be made by the CCBI (Coordination Committee
of Business Interlocutors) next day to the plenary also came up, and it
was found useful that the issue of multi-stakeholdership be endorsed
jointly.

On 24/2 when the statement was prepared and to be read out by Ayesha of
CCBI, I was in the plenary and she checked with me if civil society had
any problems with the statement she carried and if we can endorse it. I
found the statement a perfectly good representation of the civil society
position, and said we will go with it. (I spoke from what was
articulated by civil society participants during the meeting on
24th.)And thus she read it on behalf of civil society and CCBI.

With all the differences we have with the business interests in WSIS
(and we as a part of a group on financing issues did articulate them
strongly in our advocacy), we need not take an attitude of
un-touchablilty with any legitimate group. I read this statement again,
and I find it perfectly agreeable. Does anyone have any issues with the
content of it? Or even about the process, to effect that under no
circumstance can there be a joint statement by CS and CCBI.

At occasions like the prepcom in order to be effective, often decisions
have to be taken quickly and pragmatically. To take an exclusionary and
'bureaucratic' attitude will dissuade purposeful activity on part of
civil society actors at such events. Of course all actions are open for
comments and criticism, but these must be constructive and with an
understanding of the contexts and situations.

Best Regards

Parminder

______________________________________
Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
www.ITforChange.net
Ph: 91 80 2665 4134
Mobile: 91 98 4594 9445
Tracey Naughton
NYAKA
Communication for Development Consultant
201 Somerset hall
239 Oxford Road
Illovo     2196
South Africa