[WSIS CS-Plenary] Need of a CS structure to avoid future failures

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Mar 8 08:22:49 GMT 2005

>Hello everybody
>
>The recent exchange of mails on the plenary has
>shown that there is a serious problem within the
>Civil Society.
>It is time now to propose constructive solutions
>to cure the disease.
>
>Whatever the culprits,
>the most important aspect is that
>those most regrettable situations :
>1/ the CS press communiqué or
>2/ the joint CS-CCBI declaration
>3/ the possible expression on behalf
>of the CS by CS members of the WGIG
>
>is simply the consequence of lack of structures
>and clear procedures to determine the expression
>of the whole CS.
>Without a defined structure, it is not possible
>to define procedures.
>
>The "vox populi, vox dei" vote by
>applause by those lucky enough to assist at a
>specific Plenary
>or C&T (or evening plenary) meeting has shown
>its limitations.

Really.  What was wrong with the process we used
to try and allocate time fairly and
constructively for civil society interventions to
the prepcom debate on the Internet governance?
Quite a lot of effort by people from different
caucuses went into that process. We will need to
make statements in the future, advice on how to
improve our processes would be good (description
of that process copied below.)

An obvious improvement would be more consultation
online with those not able to attend in person.
But we lack time at prepcoms.

>3/ It must be clear the CS members of the WGIG are not
>authorized to express collectively on behalf on the whole
>CS on IG issues,

I don't understand this comment.  Nothing like
this happened, what are you talking about?

>even if the internal CS nomination
>process would have been devoid of the gross manipulation that
>I carefully exposed on this list.
>Yj  made a point that some issues have been overlooked.
>I believe that the CTB should have authority
>to determine the CS position on IG issues also.

This is what we attempted to do -- create a
process that enabled all caucuses/wg to
contribute to the statements that would be made
by civil society.  Comments on what was attempted
appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

cut & paste from email sent to Cs plenary list on 3/5/05

Geneva, PrepCom2: attempting to coordinate a statement on Internet governance.

On Monday Feb 21 the Internet Governance caucus
came to the evening Content & Themes meeting and
proposed to work with any/all caucuses on
coordinated statements about Internet governance.
We knew governments would be discussing the draft
WGIG report on Feb 24. We knew we would have
about 15 minutes in which to make statements. It
seemed sensible to coordinate how best to use
those 15 minutes.

There was general agreement to such a coordinated
approach from Content & Themes and a number of
caucuses indicated an interest in making a
statements on Internet governance. We promised to
prepare a statement for consideration by the
Content & Themes meeting of Feb 23rd.  Content &
Themes reserved the right to reject any statement
produced if it did not meet with the approval of
the meeting.  Internet governance caucus accepted
this.

Internet governance caucus took contributions
over the course of the following day (Feb 22). On
the morning of Feb 23 the Internet governance
caucus held an open meeting to discuss the
overall statement and key issues.  All this was
mentioned in Content & Themes and I believe also
announced in the morning plenary meeting. There
were no objections, only support for what we were
trying to do.

Following the open meeting [Feb 23, am], a few
people joined a small drafting team and came up
with a statement on behalf of the Internet
governance caucus, and statements from 3 other
caucuses: human rights, media and privacy. The
latter were the product of the caucuses
concerned, but took major themes suggested by
others into consideration.  The Internet
governance caucus attempted to incorporate major
input from caucuses (e.g on Gender.)

Jeanette Hofmann read the resulting draft
statement to the Content & Themes meeting on the
evening of Feb 23.  It was received with general
approval (people applauded ... that was very
pleasing :-)

We asked if we should present the statement on
behalf of the Internet governance caucus, or
could we say it had the support of Content &
Themes? There seemed to be support for saying it
was supported by the group, although I do not
think we had satisfactorily discussed the matter
before YJ Park entered the room and objected to
the statement in a more general way.

The meeting closed with agreement to say the
statement was supported by Content & Themes.

On Feb 24 the statement
<http://www.wgig.org/docs/CS-Hofmann.rtf> was
read to the prepcom on behalf of the caucus and
Content & Themes.

END