[WSIS CS-Plenary] The Economist on the 'realdigitaldivide'

Soenke Zehle soenke.zehle at web.de
Mon Mar 14 12:34:39 GMT 2005

Sasha,

what's perhaps most insidious about the
let-a-thousand-mobile-networks-bloom intervention of the Economist is
not the predictable praise for 'the markets' miraculous ability to
achive allocative optima in the field of ICT, but its deliberate
combination with an attack on the kind of multilateralization of access
issues the DSF and similar initiatives (might)imply.

So yes, support for a public goods/commons perspective that reiterates
that it is corporations, not users, that have long benefitted from the
enclosure of an originally public info-domain, and that setting aside
spectrum et al are indeed not an infringement on corporate
rights-to-free-spectrum but a reminder that the willingness of the
public to subsidize a global telco-machine has its limits - not least
because 'market failures' are (also) corporate failures, and the digital
divide - if one wants to frame it in these terms at all - is also,
perhaps even primarily (at least if one looks at the growing lit on the
failure of public-private partnerships) a matter of corporate
accountability.

But it is equally important, I think, to resist the kind of cheap attack
on multilateralism that rides on the populist wave of anti-UN
'corruption' charges and the perceived lack of accountability in
international organizations. In its desire to link multilateralism to
Soviet-style central planning, the Economist is more than willing to
raise (at least implicitly) the question of accountability in relation
to public actors, but not to private/corporate ones - and that's what
makes their argument so weak.

So maybe this is a way to reframe some of this, not sure,

Soenke Zehle