[WSIS CS-Plenary] The Economist on the 'real digital divide'

Nabil El-Khodari webmaster at nilebasin.com
Tue Mar 15 12:29:12 GMT 2005

I agree with Rik Panganiban and have issues with WJM assertions. Let
us not forget that by proper use of the technology, fishermen can
have access to important information that would actually not only
increase their sea harvest, but also save their lives in emergencies.
information like weather condition and market prices (including
foreign markets) would increase their ability to negotiate better
prices with middle-men.

I believe it is WJM who have a myopic vision on 'cost' rather than
benefit - if properly used as it has been in some ICT projects. Who
are we to deny the benefits to poor people? Even those who are
malnourished would stand a chance of a better life is they can master
even typing skills using computers.

The provision of Internet access to refugees by such organizations as
the UNHCR and the benefits from that is a good example Please keep in
mind that such equipments are donations mostly and may be also
second-hand. In fact, may be if 'obsolete' - by developed country
standards - equipments are donated to developing countries (including
cell phones) the question will not be about cost, but rather about
benefit, including that of recycling such environmentally hazardous
equipment.

Sincerely,

Nabil El-Khodari
Founder
Nile Basin Society

Tel.: +1 (647) 722-3256
Fax: +1 (647) 722-3273

http://nilebasin.com
http://nile.ca

108 Waterbury Dr.
Toronto, ON M9R 3Y3
Canada

"How we decide and who gets to decide often determines what we
decide." Environmental Governance

"If the people will lead, the leaders will follow" Dr. David Suzuki