[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS participation in WIPO and WTO

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Mar 21 17:25:41 GMT 2005

All,

while reviewing some draft WGIG documents that assess the responsiveness
to civil society by intergovernmental organizations, I stepped into this
sentence:

"Some organizations that traditionally were seen as closed to or
uninterested in civil society and its concerns have instituted outreach
programs and encouraged non-governmental organizations to get involved
in their work (e.g. WTO and WIPO)."

I'm only a little familiar with WIPO and not at all with WTO, but it
seems to me that it is in fact the opposite. Does anyone have any idea
about what "outreach programs" this sentence might be referring to,
and/or can give me factual examples pro or against this assessment? (I
remember the WIPO accreditation story from a few weeks ago, for
example.)

Thanks,