[WSIS CS-Plenary] Civil Society and the Multi-Stakeholderism

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Mar 30 15:58:56 BST 2005

Hi All,

Ralph's article is balanced and a good overview. However, the issue of the
relationship of civil society with other players - governments and the
private sector - has to seen in the context of countries of the South as
well - and here the situation is very different from that discussed in the
article about the players in the North.

And within the South, conditions differ greatly - there are countries whose
governments may actually be illegitimate in the eyes of the civil society
(though there are various kinds of CS in these countries) and other
countries, like India, whose government may have positive position on many
issues at the WSIS, but is basically just insensitive to any role of the
civil society in developing country positions........ and there are other
countries in the South who have very aggressive pro-development positions
and also closer relations with the civil society. And between southern govs
and the CS there are often agreements on development issues, and
disagreements on rights-based issues (both of which are equally important
issues).

There are many more nuances in CS- gov relationships in these countries. And
so are in CS-private sector relationships - which I wouldn’t go into here.

So I agree with Wolfgang's conceptualisation on how CS may work on the issue
of relating with other sectors. CS gets its legitimacy from nothing else but
what it stands for, but also, as importantly, from what it achieves (big or
small).  So instead of developing grand hold-all theories and conceptions of
what CS is, and what governments are, and (I hesitantly add) what the
private sector is...... CS needs to achieve gains for the constituencies it
represents by working strategically and tactically, as Wolfgang says

And Ralph put it

Though, regular introspection and self-analysis of CS role etc is certainly
very important. It is an assertion of the plurality of the CS....... but
then, the self-analysis must reflect the plurality.

Regards to all

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore