[WSIS CS-Plenary] Should Canada go to Wsis 2 in Tunis?

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 12 18:11:24 BST 2005

Hello Liss and all
I fully agree the viewpoint expressed in your message about freedom and democraty issues in the WSIS Summit hosting country, and even the relative silence we notice on our mailing list.
Unless CS is schizophrenic, it will be difficult for us to stay in the middle of this dramatic (for the tunesian population) environment, just because we are supposed to be protected by the UN status of the WSIS Site.
I thaught naively that the tunesian gouvernement will "do something" for downshift its beheaviour, but the conditions that prevailed during the campaign of the last local elections (even the "official" opposition was prevented to present a common list) and the figure of the votes (95% for the president's party) has made me "come back to the hard reality. This is a likely provocation or I dream.
As far as we were personnally committed since the very beginning in this WSIS process and spent a good piece of time to it, we'll be faced to a dramatic choice. And meanwhile the tunesian gouvernment is playng with our nerves !
That's why at PrepCom-3, the CS must be firm and as much as possible be united for taking our decision collectively, and tell the WSIS Executives the line we don't pass. Furthermore, a Press conference should express clearly this strong position (or the threat) of the CS at the very beginning of the PrepCom. But please : dont leave that to CONGO nor to the "good will" of the CS Secretariat !
Best regards
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT- France