R: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Civil Society at the Geneva Summit

Claudia Padovani claupad at libero.it
Tue May 17 13:59:19 BST 2005

Ciao. I forward this note from Bart Cammerts, concerning numbers and
attendance to WSIS 1. as he is not on the list he could not send, but is
available at B.Cammaerts at lse.ac.uk
Ciao
claudia
_____________________________________________________________-
Dear All,

Some 3200 individuals from 453 CS-organisations attended the WSIS1 in
Geneva. I did however use a
r	ather strict definition of civil society
(using Gramsci), excluding local authorities and business actors such as the
ICC, who I do not consider to be civil society actors. It also has to be
said that in total more organisations were involved in the WSIS. A number of
organisations who were active within the prepcoms disengaged at some point
in the process. For more details I refer you to the LSE-working paper:
Cammaerts, B. & Carpentier, N. (2005) 'The Unbearable Lightness of Full
Participation in a Global Context: WSIS and Civil Society', which is due to
be published one of these days. You can also mail me for a electronic
version of this paper.

all the best,
Bart