[WSIS CS-Plenary] FW: Call for grassroots caucus to post in your respective Dgroups

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sun May 22 17:45:13 BST 2005

Renata Bloem ha scritto:
> Dear all,
>
> FYI, I forward this to Plenary to make your own connections.

I am not sure whether we already have a procedure for the formation of
new caucuses (in fact, I suspect that's part of the work that the
Working Methods WG should be doing, though I haven't seen much happening
there lately).

However, my first reaction is that I'm not sure whether "Grassroots
Caucus" is a good name, nor what kind of issues is the new caucus meant
to address, nor who is it expected to involve. I don't understand the
distinction between "grassroots organisations" (that, according to the
proponents, are not currently represented) and all the other civil
society participants (should I assume that they are all "astroturf"?).

I think that the caucus should definitely find a different name. Also,
proponents should please remove from the charter any assumption that the
rest of civil society is not operating bottom-up or does not represent
"real" problems. See for example this quote from the current charter:

"While we appreciate the efforts behind WSIS process, and the important
role civil society has assumed in making the WSIS debate a very
inclusive one, we are equally concerned about the little or no role
played by the representatives of grassroots organisations and the ‘real’
disadvantaged communities at large."

Thanks,