[WSIS CS-Plenary] who is attending?: WSIS Asia Pacific meeting

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Mon May 23 00:57:34 BST 2005

 From those who might not be following news in Iran, i am copying
below the latest news...

My personal view is that anyone from CS going to the  Tehran meeting
should be careful on how the presence might be used and manipulated
by the  regime to further it's own agenda.

In the case of Tunisia, we all know the issues - but what is
important to remember is that civil society has mobilized and brought
attention and spotlight to the situation there - and worked with
groups inside the country and allowed them to have their own voice.
We should do no less for independent civil society inside iran.

Let's consult with them and experts who know the country to make the
decision on if we want to engage and attend . If we don't then we
should make it clear - and indeed boycott the meeting. If CS does
attend, then let's give it some though and see how we can use the
meeting not just as a "prep" meeting, but one that benifits CS both
inside Iran and those in the asia pacific region.

On a broader level - it is interesting to note that while the USA and
Canada attended and participated in both the LAC and Asia Pacific
regional meetings in the first phase, for the second phase they have
not been invited (as is the case for the LAC region), or have picked
places where Canadian and US officials can't attend. I don't think
it's coincidence - suffice it to say that it will likely lead to a
more heated and problematic 3rd prepcom in Sept. sigh!

regards

Robert

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.
20050522.wiran05221/BNStory/Front/

Iran bars reformists from presidential election

Sunday, May 22, 2005 Updated at 1:43 PM EDT

Associated Press

Tehran — Iran's hard-line Guardian Council on Sunday rejected all
reformists who registered to run in presidential elections, approving
only six out of the 1,010 hopefuls, state television reported.

The final list effectively barred reformers seeking democratic
changes within the ruling Islamic establishment from the presidential
race. The move came as ruling clerics seek to consolidate their power
in the June 17 vote following the departure of reformist President
Mohammad Khatami.

Iran also is facing international pressure over its controversial
nuclear program, trying to convince the United States and Europe that
it is not seeking to develop weapons.

The approved candidates included powerful former President Hashemi
Rafsanjani, who moves frequently between the hard-line and more
moderate camps and was seen as a front-runner in the race.

The Guardian Council, a constitutional watchdog that supervises the
elections, is controlled by hard-liners loyal to Iran's Supreme
Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on all state
matters. The council barred women from running for the office.

The other approved candidates were former police chief Mohammad
Bagher Qalibaf, former radio and television chief Ali Larijani,
Tehran Mayor Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and former parliamentary speaker
Mahdi Karroubi, former head of the elite Revolutionary Guards Mohsen
Rezaei.

Former Culture Minister Mostafa Moin, who was the sole candidate of
Iran's largest reformist party, the Islamic Iran Participation Front,
was among those disqualified.

The Guardian Council caused outrage last year when it disqualified
more than 2,000 reformists who had registered in legislative
elections, leading to a low turnout. Reformists denounced that vote
as a “historical fiasco.”

The outgoing Mr. Khatami, who came to power in a landslide in 1997,
was regularly stifled in his attempts to bring political and social
reforms by hard-line clerics led by Khamenei. He is barred by law
from seeking a third term.

Mr. Rezaei, Mr. Larijani, Mr. Ahmadinejad and Mr. Qalibaf are widely
seen as Mr. Khamenei candidates because of their strong loyalty to
him. All of them are former military commanders.

Mr. Karroubi is a hard-liner-turned-reformer who has lost his
popularity among the youth and reformists because of his increasing
support of Mr. Khamenei and his hard-line policies.

With the reformist movement severely weakened, Rafsanjani is seen as
the most credible force to stop hard-line allies of Iran's supreme
leader from seizing the post of president. But the savvy politician
has changed his stripes frequently in the past, sometimes backing the
hard-liner camp, sometimes taking a more moderate line and seeking to
build ties with the West.

     * © Copyright 2005 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights
Reserved.

--