khaili mohem amar va argham [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [CS Bureau] data needed on ICT status in the world-urgent

dina dina_hov at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 22:39:45 GMT 2005

Robert Guerra <rguerra at lists.privaterra.org> wrote:

On 31-Oct-05, at 4:23 AM, west wrote:

Dear All,

Mrs. Ebadi, our CS opening speaker is preparing her speech, she requested me to prepare these information for her, that she might use it in her speech or use as a background information fro her analysis. Would you please help me in finding these data. I need hot data, like how many have ever seen a telephone or not seen a mobile in their life, how many in the world ever seen a PC or use internet. These sort of data is needed. If you also have other interesting data, please share.

The items that I need information on now are:

1- the budget for military expenditure of some developing countries and
their budget on ICT and other development infrastructure/education.

Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) military expenditure database
http://www.sipri.org/contents/milap/milex/mex_database1.html

The database on military expenditure covers about 160 countries and contains consistent time series for the period since 1988. SIPRI military expenditure data are based on open sources only, including a SIPRI questionnaire, which is sent out annually to all countries included in the database. Collected data are processed to achieve consistent time series and as far as possible in accordance with the SIPRI definition of military expenditure.

Map & Graph: Military: Expenditures - Percent of GDP
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/mil_exp_per_of_gdp

2-some statistics regarding world situation on communication, the important
ones, such as how many have access or no access to telephone, internet, PCs,
etc

NationMaster.com, a massive central data source and a handy way to graphically compare nations.
http://www.nationmaster.com

Dina Hovakmian
Tel:098 21 88053586
Fax:098 21 88031879