[WSIS CS-Plenary] Possible problem with Audiovisual services in Tunis

William Drake wdrake at ictsd.ch
Thu Nov 10 09:20:21 GMT 2005

Hi Jean-Louis,

No doubt you are right, although it's impossible to know how definitive the information provided to my colleague by the secretariat really is.  Jacqueline Morris tells me that the Gender Caucus has organized equipment from an alternate supplier, so maybe there are ways around this.  And of course, one could try McTim's approach and just bring the technology and hope that 'security' people don't intervene.

The A/V situation is of course part of a larger pattern with parallel event logistics.  In contrast with the Geneva summit, until recently all there's been is a indecipherable Excel sheet listing of events.  Now there's an ITU-provided page, http://www.itu.int/wsis/tunis/events/links.html but it only shows a tiny percentage of the events and is just an alphabetical list.  Nothing of course on the Tunisian web site.  And I've never been able to get answers from the secretariat about the correct listing of the CPSR/WGIG event on IG (it's listed only as CPSR), or on the set-up that will be provided.  So I guess we'll just show up and assume that there will be enough seats for panelists, a podium, microphones etc, and if not make do, with the source of the problems being obvious to all.

Best,

Bill