[WSIS CS-Plenary] Notes on Sub-Committee B, 13 Nov, 1600-1800

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 17:27:35 GMT 2005

Resumed Prepcom III
Notes by Rik Panganiban, CONGO
13 November, 1600-1800
Sub-Committee B (Follow-up and All Other Issues)

Here is a quick summary of what paragraphs the governments were able to negotiate on during this meeting time.

Para 11 L2 on “e-content” (DT26)  – agreed

Para 15 on “unilateral measures” (DT26) - agreed

Para 7A of  (DT26) – deleted

Para 10 – “transfer of technology” (DT26)
Delete “on preferential terms”
Para 20, 21 in Financing section (DOC7) – delete reference to “transfer of technology”
Para 20A (DOC7)  add “on mutually agreed terms”
Agreed ad referendum (I.e. no objection received by tomorrow morning)

Para 32 on “digital solidarity agenda”  (DT12)
El salvador add “where appropriate” to para after “developing countries”
EU – we can provisionally agree to this
Agreed ad referendum (I.e. no objection received by tomorrow morning)

Para 23-30 (DT26)
Chair: there are two possibilities for Para 24– define in detail implementation system or a more general approach

Para 27 on Annex issue  (DT26)
Chair: Question of having an Annex in Para 27 – Which international organization would facilitate or moderate the multi-stakeholder activities.  Is this needed or not?
Japan, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Russia, DR and El Salvador : we need an annex.  Should be open-ended to include others.
Canada : We can retract our opposition to Annex
EU, Swiss, Australia, US : Annex is not necessary since in Para 24 we give it over to the SG to decide on implementation structure.
Ghana : turning over WSIS to CEB and thus ECOSOC is a waste.

Chair : Let us set up a working group on this cluster: para 23-new 30B. Canada and Russia to lead negotiations in room St Augustin 6:30-9pm..  Get report tomorrow.

Human Rights Text Left to Negotiate
Chair: we still have text related to human rights left to negotiate, including Para 2, 4, 5 of Tunis Commitment and Para 11N of Tunis Compact. These are subject to further consultations for our next meeting.

Meeting was adjourned at 1800 hours.

- Rik Panganiban, CONGO

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator

Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524