[WSIS CS-Plenary] Information for CS participants

wsis at iprolink.ch wsis at iprolink.ch
Sun Nov 13 19:14:48 GMT 2005

Dear all,

Please find below an electronic version of "Information for CS
participants". Hard copies will be made available in the CS Space soon.

Best,
Jette

WSIS Phase II - resumed PrepCom-3 and Summit,
Tunis, 13-18 November 2005
INFORMATION FOR CIVIL SOCIETY PARTICIPANTS

The second phase of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS)
takes place in the Kram Exhibition Centre in Tunis, from 16 to 18 November
2005. PrepCom-3 reconvenes from 13 to 15 November in the Kram Centre.

Full Information for Participants can be found at
www.itu.int/wsis/tunis/info

Additional information for CS participants:
www.ngocongo.org/ngonew/wsis
www.csbureau.org/tunissummit.htm

1.	CS CONTACT POINTS

CS Bureau Secretariat
The CSB secretariat will be situated as the first office on your right
hand, when you enter the CS Pavilion.

Officers:
Philippe Dam
Alejandra Mendoza Leon
Jette Madsen
Contact: wsis at ngocongo.org

Media relations officer:
Adina Fulga-Radi
Contact: media at ngocongo.org

2.	CIVIL SOCIETY PAVILION

>From Sunday 13 November, Civil Society will have a space (the Civil Society
Pavilion) within the Summit perimeter. The CS Pavilion is situated close to
gate 3.

In the CS pavilion there are two meeting rooms, 9 offices and a working
space with copy machines, pc’s, printers and internet connections for
laptops.

Room reservation
It has been possible for CS families, caucuses and organizations to reserve
meeting rooms and offices in advance. Information about reservations and
vacant timeslots will be posted outside the CSB secretariat. Vacant time
slots will be allocated after the first-come first-served principle. If you
wish to reserve one of the vacant slots, please send an e-mail to
wsis at ngocongo.org or visit the CSB Secretariat office between 18 and 19
every day. Booking requests will NOT be handled outside this daily office
hour.

3.	PROVISIONAL PROGRAMME

Resumed PrepCom-3, 13-15 November
PrepCom-3 will reconvene on 13 November at 12:00 (the Kram Centre will be
open from 11:00). The following sessions are foreseen:

Sunday, 13 November:
12:00 - 15:00, short Plenary followed by Sub-Committee A
15:00 - 18:00 Sub-Committee B
18:00 - 21:00 Sub-Committee A

Monday 14 November:
9:00 – 12:00 and 16:00-19:00: Sub-Committee A
13:00 - 16:00 and 19:00 – 22:00: Sub-Committee B

Tuesday 15 November:
9:00 – 12: 00 Sub-Committee A;
12:00 – 14:00 short Sub-Committee B followed by a Plenary, if the final
outcome documents are ready for adoption. Otherwise negotiations will
continue.

Summit, 16-18 November
The official Summit will begin in the morning of 16 November with an
organizational meeting from 8:30 – 9:15. At 10:00 the opening ceremony is
held and directly followed by the first Plenary session. During the three
days of the Summit, the general debate will take place in three daily
sessions 9:00-13:00, 14.00-17:00 and 17:00-20:00, except on 18th November
where the 8th and last Plenary session will be held 14:00-19:00. This
session will include reports from multi-stakeholder events and adoption of
the final outcome documents.

In the parallel with the Plenary meetings, a High Level Panel on the theme
“ICT for development” is held 18:00-20:00 on 16 November and two Round
Tables are held on 11:00-13:00 and 15:00-17:00 on 17th November. The theme
for both Round Tables will be “From Commitment to Action: Implementation
after Tunis”.

Parallel Events, 14-19 November
A series of meetings, panels, discussions, workshops and gatherings are
held between 14-19 November in parallel with the official Summit.
Information about the Parallel Events can be found at
www.itu.int/wsis/tunis/events/index.html

If you are organizer of a parallel event, please read “Guidelines form
Secretary-General regarding the conduct of Parallel Events”, “Applicable
Rules” and “Guidelines for Organizers of Parallel Events” (all available at
the website above). See also section 5 on Documentation below.

4.	ACCESS
Access to the official Tunis Summit perimeter within the Kram PalExpo will
be strictly limited to persons wearing a WSIS badge. The WSIS Registration
and WSIS Badging services will be located in the WSIS Registration Centre
near Tunis Carthage Airport. A free shuttle bus service will be provided
from the airport to the Registration Centre. The WSIS Registration Centre
will be open 11-18 November 2005, 07:00-22:00.
The Summit badge also gives access to the resumed PrepCom-3.The WSIS ES
decided that no overpass will be instituted for the resumed PrepCom-3, but
due to the limited size of the meeting room only 35 seats will be reserved
for CS observers in the meetings we are allowed to attend (Plenary meetings
and Sub-Committees).
Summit Overpasses
On Wednesday 16 November 9:15-13:00 access to the Plenary Hall will be
limited to participants wearing a purple overpass. The doors of the Plenary
Hall will be closed 9:45-11:00 during the opening ceremony.

>From Wednesday 16 November 14:00 onwards access to the plenary hall may be
restricted at certain times and therefore overpasses required in addition
to WSIS badges. There are three kinds of Plenary overpasses that give
access on the three different days:

Wednesday, 16th November:	 Purple overpasses
Thursday, 17th November:	 Dark Pink overpasses
Friday, 18th November:	 Light Pink overpasses

Civil Society will be given 650 passes for the first day and 600 passes for
each of the following days. The CS Bureau decided that the overpasses would
be given to the CS families and caucuses, who would be responsible for the
distribution of the overpasses between their members. Information about how
to request an overpass within each caucus or family was published both on
the CS mailing lists and at the CS Bureau website
(http://www.csbureau.org/passes.htm). The CSB Secretariat will give the
overpasses to the focal point of each civil society entity in the afternoon
of 15th November (the exact time will be announced).

Some overpasses have been kept for newcomers and those who do not
participate in CS structure. Requests for these could be sent through the
central electronic registration system at
https://secure.privaterra.org/wsis and the distribution of these will be
handled directly by the CSB Secretariat. Distribution of these will also
take place in the afternoon of 15th November. Exact time will be announced
both online and in the CS Pavilion.

Civil Society will only have 36 passes for the High Level Panel and the CS
Bureau has decided to give one of these to each CS Caucus or Family. The
HLP overpass will be given to each caucus or family together with the
Plenary overpasses on 15 November.

Access to the Round Tables sessions is limited to the participants and
their advisors, but discussions will be broadcast live on the internet and
on several screens in the Kram Centre.
Transport services
>From 12 to 19 November 2005, a free shuttle-bus service will be provided to
participants, operating between Tunis Carthage Airport, the WSIS
Registration Centre, the hotel areas and the Kram PalExpo. A map of routes
and of schedule will be made available to all participants.

5.	DOCUMENTATION

Upon registration in Tunis, participants will receive a document voucher in
exchange for which one set of official documents will be provided in the
official UN language selected at the time of registration. Additional
official documents will be made available in the Civil Society pavilion and
may also be distributed in meeting rooms.
If you are planning to distribute documents within the Summit perimeter,
please read the documents policy available at
http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs2/tunis/adm/4.doc. This policy makes a
difference between documents for distribution at tables in different
locations of the Kram and documents used during a parallel event inside a
parallel events room. Documents for distribution at tables are checked in
advance by ITU/UN staff before they are tabled. This is the usual practice
of all UN Summits. Documents which are only used during a parallel event
and inside a parallel events room are the responsibility of the organizer
of the parallel event and there will be no check in advance of these
documents.