[WSIS CS-Plenary] notes from Sub-cttee B, 1900-2100, 14 Nov

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 14 20:32:06 GMT 2005

WSIS Resumed Prepcom III

Sub-Committee B

14 November 2005, 1900-2100 hours

Notes by Rik Panganiban, CONGO

Discussion on new Para 24 of DT26

Proposed new text from Canada and Russia:
We invite UN agencies and other intergovernemntal organizations in
line with UN GA reoslution 57/270B to facilitate activities among
different stakeholders.  [We request the UN Secretary General to
establish with the CEB a UN group on the Information Society, chaired
by the ITU] and consisting of the relevant UN organs and
organizations with the mandate to facilitate the implementation [,
evaluation] and the followup of the WSIS.

We further request the UN Secretary General to report to ECOSOC by
June 2006, informing on the modalities of the interagency
coordination of the implementation of WSIS decisions including
recommendations on the follow-up process.

We request ECOSOC through its Commission on Science on Technology and
Development to oversee the systematic follow-up of the Geneva and
Tunis outcome of the WSIS.

We request ECOSOC at its substantive session of 2006 review the
mandate, agenda and composition of the CSTD, including considerations
of the strengthening of the Commission, including the multi-
stakeholder approach.

Canada, Australia, US, EU: Reference to ITU is too prescriptive.
Don’t specify ITU.

Significant debate on CSTD role.  Supported by GRULAC, proposed by
Chile.  UK adds text “including the multi-stakeholder approach.”
Norway, Saudi Arabia and Arab Group oppose CSTD role.

Our next and final meeting is tomorrow from 1200-1400.

There will be an informal meeting facilitated by Iran and Norway on
new Para 4 in DT12 and Para 11N in DT26 at 1100 hours in room M-2.

There will be an informal meeting facilitated by Russia and Canada on
Para 24 of DT26 at 1000 hours in Rm Sidi Boussaid.

  Please see http://www.ngocongo.org/ngomeet/WSIS/Prepcom3b/
prepcom3reports.htm for reports from other meetings of Prepcom III.

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United
Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524