[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS failure - Re: [CS Bureau] Reservation

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at wtis.org
Tue Nov 15 17:31:17 GMT 2005

Dear Robert & others

> by the CSB bureau to intervene in the  subcommittee to put forward the
> idea that the CSB bureau be a  structure in the follow-up &
> implementation phase

Criticisms are very easy to come by.
The point is : what are the other proposasl being writen by CS and
submitted for
a multi-stakeholder coordinating body ?

The prospect looks very sad about the outcome of the Summit
where all the works that has been done is going  to turn be useless.

> No adecuate consultation has taken, and the efforts of a few persons
> to suggest such an idea without consultation is not acceptable.

A statement by the
the indigenous caucus has taken the courageous decision to take the
responsality to making
a speech in that direction that would preserve the
advantages that the Civil Society has fought so hard to get in
the first phase, thanks to the helping hand of Adama Samassékou, that
took the decision to recognize the CSB.

In the second phase, we did not have such an help,  and the end result
is that all the advantages that have been gained by the CS are going to
be lost.

> The caucus and regional groups that any such proposal by the CSB can
> not be done as it does not have the legimaticy to speak in name of CS
> in issues of subtance. Only after ok by the plenary can such -
> outrageous - ideas be approved.

The real outrage is that not enough has been done in terms of advocacy
to obtain a multi-stakeholder coordinating body.
In the CS plenary tonight, from the reports I have heard from the
Subcom, the mood
was towards self-congratulation.   I could not stay more time.
Franlky, I believe, unless there is a last minute miracle, that the
second phase of
the Summit is a failure.
No itemized implementation of the WSIS recommendations has been agreed upon
as I suggested many times.  UN agencies are going to implement ( or not
implement )
according to their own interpretation without  even quoting recommendations
that have the result of such intense work.

Best regards

Francis

> regards
>
> Robert
>
> --
> Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
> Director, Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR)
> WSIS Civil Society Bureau, Focal Point for North America & Europe
> Tel +1 416 893 0377 Fax +1 416 893 0374

Francis F. Muguet  Ph.D
WTIS World Tour of the Information Society
http://www.wtis.org  muguet at wtis;org

Knowledge Networks & Information Society Lab. (KNIS)
http://www.knis.org  http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet
E.N.S.T.A  32 Boulevard Victor  muguet at ensta.fr
75739 PARIS CEDEX FRANCE
(33) 01.45.52.60.19 -- Fax: (33) 01.45.52.52.82

MDPI  Open Access Journals -  Associate Publisher
http://www.mdpi.org  muguet at mdpi.net

WSIS  World Summit on the Information Society
Chair Scientific Information WG http://www.wsis-si.org
Co-chair Patents & Copyrights WG htt://www.wsis-pct.org

Multi-Stakeholders UN agency proposal  http://www.unmsp.org