[WSIS CS-Plenary] What's happening in CS?

djilali benamrane dbenamrane at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 12:42:46 GMT 2005

Thanks Karen for provided information in your
precedent message !
I would like to add my own appreciations on this
second day of the Official Tunis Summit (November 17),
for all colleagues participating to the Tunis WSIS
Phase and for those who are absent.
Probably for relevant raisons some colleagues among us
decided, few days before the tenue of the Official
Summit to organize, in Tunis, a "Counter Summit"
called "Citizens Summit for Information Society".
Chantal give us usefull information about it when we
meet last Tuesday in CS Plenary session.
I remember that before and during the Geneva WSIS
phase, the boycott of the whole WSIS process was in
the Agenda and after informal discussions, we decided
to be "IN" the processand to try together to promote
ideas and actions in favor of people from Tunisia,
Arabic, African, LDC's and underdeveloped countries.
During the two years between the 2 WSIS Summits,
Tunisian policy and practices was under light with
many initiatives, efforts, and progress, even if
everything it is not yet at the best level and the
world media and lot of colleague messages deal with
the insufficiencies !
In our last CS Plenary meeting, i noted 3 Civil
society componients and possibly difficulties for us
in the future :
- one composed of colleagues who, for different
raisons was, are and will be "OUT" of any official
process, except Social Forums organized with success
without Government and UN system participation ;
- one composed of colleagues who are working hard,
making their best to try to give to the Civil Society
a relevant status for the future and for the next
steps, to become progressively a real stake-holder in
the process, even if they dont agree with Human Right
restrictions taking place since many years in the
Guest Country and considered presently with more
foccus ;
- and the last one composed of colleagues who decided
to create an event "IN AND OUT" the Official Tunis
Summit.
Taking into account the level of the available
information, those who participated to the two WSIS
phases can compare what it has been done in Geneva
against RSF and against young people who wanted to
express their opposition to the Summit, the last day,
out of the Summit and what we are living presently in
Tunis.... In regard to our expectations, Tunis is not
so bad comparatively to what we lived in Geneva, in
the oldest democatic and very rich and very developed
country !
Let's see to the future, let's be positive, let's be
constructive.
We do have to meet in a plenary CS session on Friday
(he last day of the Summit) to share and draw-up the
first appreciations, and for that the CSBureau must
meet before and organize the meeting. We could agree
on the CS Statement wich is in a drafting status.
The meeting will be of course opened to all
colleagues, including those who are promotting the
Citizens Summit of Information Society. I hope that
they will join us the two last days and lead their
respective events and we shall be here with them to
ensure success to their ideas and actions "IN" the
Official Summit.
Last, if this proposal is not accepted, before
leaving, my respect, consideration and thanks to
colleagues who lead with success the process on behalf
of the CS. A special mention to the Women colleagues
among the leaders and my congratulation and hope to
undertake together other initiatives in the future.
All the best and full success to the whole WSIS Summit
Djilali

Djilali Benamrane : dbenamrane at yahoo.com
Tel/fax : (227) 75 35 09 BP 11207 - Niamey - Niger
Tél/Fax : (331) 01 45 39 77 02 Paris - France
Page web sur le Sommet Mondial sur la Societe de l'Information (SMSI) (mecanismes de financement) http://www.wsis-finance.org et groupe de discussion : http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/
Page web sur l'Afrique et la globalisation : http://www.multimania.com/djilalibenamrane/
Groupe de discussion: http://www.egroups.com/list/afriqueglobalization