[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS declaration drafting: next steps

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Thu Nov 17 13:30:20 GMT 2005

Dear Ralf and all,

Thank you for the update and all the work which you and others are doing.
Please post any information/version  of the Declaration  as soon as
possible.  It is also recommend that a virtual drafting group be formed ASAP
as was done with the WSIS I Declaration.  Some of us have asked previously
if there would be a CS Declaration and there were no plans until just
recently.

It is very important that all NGOs have an opportunity to participate in the
drafting of the Declaration, not only those who happen to be physically at
the meeting in Tunis.  Having been in Geneva and also participated in the
virtual drafting of the first Declaration, I can appreciate the complexities
and timetable.  However, drafting a Declaration in a matter of a few days is
extremely tight.

Many developing countries have not been able to attend the Tunis Summit for
reasons already posted.  If the Declaration is to be inclusive and have the
credibility of representing civil society, considerably more input will be
necessary that those who are able to attend a drafting meeting in Tunis. Not
all caucuses may have representatives at that drafting meeting due to travel
and funding difficulties.

It is important that all versions (including the first) be posted to the
plenary for input.

Thank you again for all your work on this.

Best regards,

Elizabeth

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
Health and ICT Working Group