[WSIS CS-Plenary] news: riot police surround protestors

Andy Carvin acarvin at edc.org
Fri Nov 18 12:28:14 GMT 2005

Hi everyone,

Word is spreading rapidly that riot police surrounded protestors on Ave
Bourghiba within the last hour or so. Here's the latest I've heard from
the folks at the AMARC booth; please note that this is all second-hand
information and unconfirmed.

"[Nobel Peace Prize laureate] Shirin Ebadi had called on them yesterday,
pleading with them to end their hunger strike - that they were needed in
the struggle. So they were to announce a decision this morning, and
there was to be a press conference this morning."

"We hadn't heard anything more until half an hour ago [approximately
12:15pm local time]," they continued. "We were told that  - our
colleagues that are covering it  had called - and that the people were
moving out of [hunger strike] headquarters onto the street and onto
[Avenue] Bourghiba, and that they were surrounded by riot police. And we
are trying to get more information from them - it was very noisy and it
was very difficult to hear when they called here. So we have other
people who are trying to find out what was going on."

I've posted it to my blog... Does anyone have any other information? -ac
--
Andy Carvin