[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS Declaration: next steps

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Tue Nov 22 14:31:28 GMT 2005

dear all

I hope you've all arrived home safely... and that everyone is taking
some rest..

but, we still have work to do ;)

Attached is the final version of the draft CS WSIS statement.

I realise that many of you have been following the process remotely,
and don't have the benefit of explanations that were given during the
plenary meetings in Tunis - hopefully the following will clarify the
process for all.

Firstly, there were misunderstandings about the existence of a
drafting group that was working online. There was no such group. The
drafting group consisted of those who went to CS room 7 during
wed/thurs or friday and contributed face to face to writing. We did
not have time to do any drafting online.

We advertised an address to which people could send comments, and
unfortunately, the first address was incorrect, we corrected that as
soon as possible, but it also contributed to the confusion.

Second, I explained to several people in tunis, that due to the very
hectic nature of the drafting process, there were many
misunderstandings and miscommunications which led to some people
feeling their texts were intentionally deleted, or entirely ignored
by those who worked on the draft.

I would like to reiteraite, on behalf of those who were involved,
that there were no intentional deletions of text but there was
certainly some confusion around document versioning which led to some
contributions being inadvertanly left out of the document.

We also received comprehensive and lengthy statements form some
caucuses, which in themselves, stand alone as WSIS declarations.
Similarily, due to time and other constraints, we didn't have time to
incorporate 2-4 page stand alone caucus declarations, into the CS (as
a whole) declaration.

However, as those of you who attended the final plenary meeting  -
the text is adopted as a 'work in progress' and will not be released
as a final document until all have had time to make considered contributions.

The text was used as a reference document from which a press
statement was developed - for the final CS press conference on Friday Nov 18th

Next steps and timeline
=================

I believe plenary agreed to allocate 2 weeks for the completion of
the final statement. I don't think that is enough time and so propose
a slightly longer time frame as below:

proposed next steps:
------------------------------

- please read the attached to check as to whether or not your text
was included - noting - that we cannot incorporporate stand along
declarations from caucuses into the document. Could we ask that if
you did send stand alone statements that you consider releasing them
in their entirety, independently, and attempt to incorporate your KEY
POINTS into the existing text.

- please send, or *resend*  _tracked changes_  on the attached
document to: cs-dec at wsis-cs.org by Sunday Nov 27th. This address
forwards to ralf and myself and will be posted to ct-drafting at wsis-cs.org.

- i will make the archives of the list open so that all can read
contributions.. i don't think there is a need for a drafting group
perse as our work now is to incorporate minor changes, not draft new text

- a new draft to be completed by wednesday morning nov 30th

- comments could be received until end of work, friday dec 2nd

- a final version posted to plenary monday dec 5th

- we would then need volunteers to translate the final version into
other languages and aim to post a final declaration by monday dec 12th

does this work for everyone?

karen