[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS Declaration: next steps

DeeDee Halleck dhalleck at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 22 14:54:26 GMT 2005

Dear Karen et al,
Arne Hinz and I worked a bit on some comments which I assume you have
received.
The following three sentences, I feel, are crucial in stating the
justification for transparency and  public participation in all aspects
of media.
I hope there can be a way to include a similar statement in the media
section:

"The WSIS documents put a focus on market-based solutions and commercial
uses. Yet the internet, satellite, cable and broadcast systems all
utilize public resources, such as airwaves and orbital paths. These
should be managed in the public interest as publicly owned assets
through transparent and accountable regulatory frameworks to enable the
equitable allocation of resources and infrastructure among a plurality
of media including community media. We reaffirm our commitment that
commercial use of these resources begin with a public interest obligation."

DeeDee Halleck