[WSIS CS-Plenary] Letter to Kofi Annan: demande de clarification

Andrew Anderson andrewanderson at frontlinedefenders.org
Fri Nov 25 16:10:15 GMT 2005

Dear Djilali,

The Tunis phase of the WSIS is past but unfortunately the threat posed
by the Tunisian authorities to civil society is ongoing.

The Tunisian authorities continue to repress civil society in Tunisia.
Given the failure of the international community to address this issue
adequately in advance of the WSIS we have an ongoing responsibility as
international civil society to work in support of independent Tunisian
civil society.

The aggressive use by the Tunisian authorities of security agents and
other government representatives under the cover of Tunisian Government
controlled GONGOs (Government Organised NGOs) to harass and intimidate
legitimate Tunisian civil society representatives, and to block or
disrupt the activities of international civil society is also an ongoing
threat. It is also a tactic likely to be copied by others if it is not
effectively exposed and countered.

It is therefore heartening to see that so many credible representatives
of civil society have already signed up to the appeal.

With best wishes,

Andrew

Andrew Anderson
Deputy Director
Front Line
The International Foundation for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders
16 Idrone Lane, off Bath Place, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland

Tel. 00353-1-212-37-50
Fax. 00353-1-212-10-01
mob. 00353-87-205-6867
www.frontlinedefenders.org