AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] [governance] Post mortem and next steps on IG

conchita.poncini at bluewin.ch conchita.poncini at bluewin.ch
Sun Oct 2 19:49:20 BST 2005

DEAR ALL,

YES, EVERYTHING IS UNBRACKETED BUT THERE IS ONE FUNDAMENTAL NOTION THAT IS
MISSING IN THE TEXT WHICH IS "GENDER SENSITIVE".  THIS OUGHT TO HAVE BEEN
INSERTED AT LEAST ONCE UNDER NEW PARA. 41 OF CHAPTER 1, PREAMBULAR PARA.
41 WITHIN THE ENUMERATION "PEOPLE-CENTERED, INCLUSIVE (INSERT - GENDER SENSITIVE)
DEVELOPMENT ORIENTED AND NON-DISCRIMINATORY INFORMATION SOCIETY.  THIS IS
PARTICULARLY RELEVANT IN ICTs AND TRADITIONAL MEANS OF COMMUNICATION FOR
THE FOLLOWING REASONS:.

Justification:  It is true that women should attain an equal level field
with men in ordered to achieve "power", but this is more the ideal that will
probably not be attained in our present generation.  But "gender sensitive"
means that governance has to be a shared responsibility to capture those
information and language and programmes from the point of view of how they
impact on men and how they impact on women.  Women are of course currently
disadvantaged and unable because the majority of producers anhd users are
still in the majority men and on the other hand women are the subject of
cultural relativism and violence against women emanates from this - the projection
of women's images and men's images are not the same but rather harmful to
women,considered as objects rather than partner-sharing with half of the
population; media and other forms of dissemination of information is still
dominated by men.  So, when we insert "gender sensitive", it simèply means
to take into account these asseymetries that tip in favour of men than women.
 I could make a whole thesis here of what gender sensitivity is all about
but I am sure you are all on the same track.
 GOALS
AFTER THE FINAL SESSION , I WENT DIRECTLY TO AMBASSADOR KHAN TO EXPLAIN THAT
THIS NOTION IS SPELLED OUT IN THE FOLLOWING CONFERENCES AND INTERNATIONAL
STANDARDS: WSIS I GENEVA DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES (PARA )AND THE SEPTEMBER
GLOBAL  SUMMIT 2005 ON FOLLOW UP TO THE MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS OUTCOME
DOCUMENT (PARA 12) COMMITS TO GENDER EQUALITY AND GENDER MAINSTREAMING AND
SPECIFICALLY (PARA 58(d) ON EQUAL ACCESS TO TECHNOLOGY.  OTHER COMMITMENTS
ARE FOUND IN ECOSOC (RESOLUTION L2 TO MAINSTREAM GENDER AND INTEGRATE WOMEN'S
RIGHTS IN ALL THE UN SYSTEM (1997)AND IN 2002 TO DISCUSS FOLLOW UP ON GM,THE
1995 FOURTH WORLD CONFERENCE ON WOMEN IN BEIJING PLATFORM FOR ACTION AND
THE DECISION 22 OF THE GENERAL ASSEMLY IN 2000 AND COMMISSION ON THE STATUS
OF WOMEN 2005 REAFFIRM COMMITMENT TO BEIJING, GA 22 AND CEDAW (CONVENTION
ON TH ELIMINATION OF ALL FORMS OF DISCRIMINATION, ADOPTED IN 1979) AND THE
OTHER WORLD CONFERENCES ON POPULATION DEVELOPMENT, COPENHAGEN SOCIAL SUMMKIT,
AGENDA 21 OF RIO FOLLOWED BY JOHANNESBURG SUMMIT ON ENVIRONMENTS, ETC.

AMBASSADOR KHAN REASSURED ME THAT HE WILL INSERT THIS PHRASE (MAYBE IN HIS
FOOD FOR THOUGHT PAPER)

IF WE DO NOT INCLUDE THIS NOTION IN INTERNET GOVERNANCE WE CAN EXPECT AN
EVEN HARDER STRUGLE AND FAILURE IN SUBSEQUENT MONITOIRING OF FOLLOW-UP AND
IMPLEMENTATION BECAUSE IT IS ONLY WHEN THERE IS SUCH WRITTEN COMMITMENTS
TO ICT COULD WE ADVOCATE.

I URGE ALL CAUCUSES TO INCLUDE THIS IN ALL THEIR INTERVENTIONS - GENDER IS
ABOUT WOMEN AND MEN AND CERTAINLY MEN HAVE A DETERMINING ROLE IN THIS QUEST.

YOURS IN SOLIDARITY,

CONCHITA PONCINI
International Federation of University Women