AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] [governance] Post mortem and next steps on IG

conchita poncini conchita.poncini at bluewin.ch
Tue Oct 4 01:43:23 BST 2005

Thanks Rik for clarifying.  OF course I never meant to shout but am determined to ascertain that gender sensitivity is there.  I agree that it should appear most appropriate and I have certainly read this very carefully and was at the session when the Chair read his Food for Thought.  I am all for substance and if we do not make WSIS principles gender sensitive, then it remains a paradigm of the haves and not inclusive of the have-nots who are at present women..  This is precisely why I included it in the paragraph where it recognizes the scope and the  necessity for IG to be people-centered, inclusive, development oriented and non discriminatory, and certainly should be "gender sensitive.".

When you say that a gender perspective (I repeat this means the different impact on which one sex is benefiting and the other being disadvantaged or excluded in considering good or bad governance..

When you said that it should be in one good paragraph than in 100 vague paras, I do agree it should be where it is clearly needed but I do not agree that it should be limited because it should also be mainstreamed in all policies of formulation and  commitments to implementation, for example in 50a. If society were really an even playing level field, then there is no valid reason to call for gender equality.  But we are very far from it.  You will probabvly argue with me that women are in great numbers ICT involved - but where are they situated?  Studies have shown they are in back offices, processing data to be transferred, and other operations using ICT for e-business in SMEs but how many are they that are eqjuivalent to Bill Gates, Turner or other inventors and decision-makers at the top where they can determine and control media, systems, programme designs?

There are many places were we could have placed a gender perspective. By the way, this chapter is absolutely gender -blind.

In your very examploe of "child help lines" this is also gender blind because the ones most affected are the girl children who are the majority without support, resources, education or simply connected to traditional forms of communication and information as they are discriminated against from the time they are born (or even unborn).

Problems of inequality of women to men have emanated precisely from the lacuna in looking at the differential impact of ICTs - from the least common denominator - human rights.

We need the synergy of women and men.  One clear illustration are the plethora of software on war games, violent sports or sports that are almost exclusive for men,  pornography, etc. Why - because producers are in the majority men. Women are so far consumers only.

Men and boys have a shared responsibility in changing socital attitudes and behaviour.  It is difficult to promote this without accompanying training in gender-sensitivity and awareness raising.  One important one is in these forms of international standards and guidelines.

In solidarity and equality with you,
Conchitra