[WSIS CS-Plenary] Reservation on process - list of speakers for Tunis

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 4 15:20:25 BST 2005

Dear Rik and all,

I know this whole process was a mess, and I do not blame CONGO only for
not starting it earlier. So I won't go into the details of the individual
nominations - probably all of them are good speakers who will try their
best to represent the variety of our views.

BUT there is one nomination I absolutely can not agree with:
The nomination of Adama Samassekou as a civil society speaker.
He is still a member of the Mali government (if I understand his job
description correctly), and in any way has been involved in the WSIS on
the governments' side. If we really let him speak on our behalf, we
voluntarily do what the ITU did to us at the first summit: Take away our
own voice. This is unacceptable. What on earth has made the nomination
committee come up with this idea? I strongly support those CS
organizations who will submit their own suggestions for opening speakers
directly to the ITU.

Jean-Louis hit the nail on the head when ironically suggesting that we
give our second speaking slot to the business sector instead of letting
Renata speak. CCBI has even associated itself with our protest against
being excluded from the drafting groups, and they would certainly support
multi-stakeholderism as much as Sammasekou would.

Don't we think we have anything to say ourselves here anymore?
(Or am I overlooking some kind ob subversive plan here that is directed to
make us all go to the counter-summit instead?)

Ralf