[Gc-ig-a] Re: AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] [governance] Post mortem andnext steps on IG

conchita poncini conchita.poncini at bluewin.ch
Wed Oct 5 23:35:35 BST 2005

I am all for not having a laundry list except when a fundamental human right
is at stake for over half of the population.  Just because at WGIG this
aspect was forgotten or ignored does not mean it is carved in stone - we
have to correct the omission..

fundamental importance of the  word "gender sensitive" in this very
paragraph. For over 25 years I have heard this refrain that
non-discrimination and inclusive of both women and men.  By the way, women
are also children, young persons, persons with disability, older persons,
poor people.Yes, but not on equal terms, not even on equitable terms because
the other half of the population that is disadvantaged intersects with the
other forms of discrimination besides gender  - race, ethnicity, culture,
economic power (exclusion from property, inheritance, income earning,
educational, health and other social  rights), socialized division of labour
has formed the glass ceiling and sticky floor, not taking into account the
multiple and double roles of women as primary caretakers of chldren and
other family memeers  and as income earners.  The playing field is simply
not even!!. This is why there is the feminisation of poverty and
feminisation of HIV/AIDs and the majority of ICT holders are men.  Your
reasons are precisely what has been repeatedly said by governments who are
in a culture that continues to follow a gender insentivie paradigm. Men do
not have bad intentions, they just currently hold the power of ICTs and all
economic power.  WE need to introduce this human value of shared rights and
responsiibities.

Governance of the Internet cannot be just  technical matters.  It should
also be a human right and human development issue.  If one is gender
sensitive, one would look at ICTs with a gender lens where women are over
half the population and with the lens of the universal basic human rights
Let us make sure we are speaking of the same concepts enunciated in the 9
major world conferences, including the last one in Sept. 2005 (A/60/L.1
where 171 heads of states committed to gender equality and gender
mainstreaming.

Let us please support this disadvantaged population.

Conchita