[WSIS CS-Plenary] Speakers for the Summit / my position on nominations from Tunisia

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Fri Oct 7 18:17:33 BST 2005

With the help of Rik and others, the speakers nominating group is
working hard to advance the work done in geneva to ready a list for
the ITU. Numerous exchanges have taken  place so far, which is great.

In the spirit of transparency and openness, i thought it best to
share my position (as focal point on the CSB for North America &
Europe) on and about  nominations from Tunisia with the plenary list.

My position is as follows....

To be honest, the inclusion of  Tunisians as proposed speakers at the
summit makes be personally shake in disbelief.  The names proposed
(from Tunisia) are not  high enough level persons to speak at the
plenary sessions. The caucus they represent  are problematic ones,
ones which - many, myself included - believe are clearly infiltrated
by the tunisian government .

There far better, and much less problematic speakers that MUST  be
considered in their place. As a point of principle, if we are going
to consider tunisians for rountables then  we SHOULD also  give an
equal chance to "independent" civil society from the country. If that
is not possible, then , there is no equal opportunity - no consensus,
and as such the safest course of action  would be to not recommend
any Tunisians at all to the ITU.

As you might imagine, this is a point of principle for me. I am
passionate about this. There needs to be openness and transparency
about this - very - sensitive issue.

Recommendation: remove all Tunisian names all together. If this group
recommends  one Tunisian name vs. another, we will be lead into a
dogfight we can not win. It's a political issue - let the ITU deal
with it.

Alternatives: no doubt there are other names from other countries
that are not only "less problematic" but, are higher level and
involved in information society activities and/or initiatives at a
higher level than the Tunisian nominees.

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
Director, Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR)