[WSIS CS-Plenary] speakers list transmitted to the ITU

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 10 22:42:37 BST 2005

Thanks Rik
for your explanations. I just wonder how our priorities (well, I think there is/will be a consensus about four or five main issues) are respected if the ITU picks the speakers on its own and considers the theme of their presentation or contribution.
Best
Jean-Louis

> Message du 10/10/05 23:03
> De : "Rik Panganiban"
> A : plenary at wsis-cs.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] speakers list transmitted to the ITU

I agree very much that we should consider the speakers to be "our" speakers. The selection committee considered whether or not someone would be speaking just on their own individual behalf, on behalf of their own organization, or if they would be open to including other viewpoints besides their own.  Ideally we want to have as many possible views expressed through the limited number of speaking slots allotted to us.

One easy way to do this is to include in the Annex the contact information for each speaker, so that once we know the final list, we can contact each person individually and make sure that they have the broadest possible view on their given subject area.  I.e. if someone plans to speak on telecentres, that they be thoroughly briefed on the privacy and security working group's concerns about data retention and surveillance.

Beyond that, if there are emerging global civil society statements on given matters such as internet governance, we want to make sure that as many speakers as possible mention this in their interventions.

Obviously, we respect everyone's right to speak their mind.  But we want everyone speaking to as much as possible show solidarity with the proposals and viewpoints of the rest of CS in the WSIS process.

Rik Panganiban

On Oct 10, 2005, at 4:16 PM, Ralf Bendrath wrote:

Finally, as active CS members, we deserve more than "a short summary (one paragraph)" of the communication of "our" representatives, among who a big part is unknown even for well initiated WSIS CS participants.

This is a good point, and I really support this. The fact that some of them are not known even to us WSIS "insiders" is probably due to the fact that the ITU insisted on "director" level persons, while many of us who have been very active in the WSIS process are normal members or staff. But it is certainly good to see more clearly who they are. Last time we even had a document where somebody had collected pictures of them. I hope the CS secretariat through CONGO can find the time to do this.

Best, Ralf