[WSIS CS-Plenary] speakers list transmitted to the ITU

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Tue Oct 11 18:13:41 BST 2005

Rik Panganiban ha scritto:
> I would love it if every speaker put a draft on a wiki, and anyone
> could go in and edit their speech for them, and we could all sign off
> on every speech as coming from "global civil society."  But I know
> ourselves and our processes enough to think that this is unrealistic.
>
> We're just not a monolithic entity that can force our will on  anyone.
> All we can do is recommend, encourage, cajole and convince.

Well, we could (should?) have asked some commitments to our speakers
before appointing them, but in any case it is the ITU, not us, that
formally chooses them, right?

In any case, we could for example ask all speakers to release a draft of
their intervention by, say, one week before the Summit, to the Plenary
list, so that the drafts can be commented and they can then incorporate
reasonable suggestions. I think this is a reasonable request, in view of
the role that we are giving them.