[WSIS CS-Plenary] speakers list transmitted to the ITU

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 12 08:36:18 BST 2005

Dear Laina
I do appreciate your kind message and am happy sharing our views on the essentials of CS in this WSIS process. I fully agree that it is very(Too?) late now to set up rules for CS bodies since we are in the last "straight line". But You are right, we need clear rules to be established as to avoid some misuses of CS working by a couple of seff-proclaimed "leaders". By the way, the "CS statement" by Bertrand de la Chapelle during the final intergouvernmental plenary on Friday night was just another example of these deviations ; i.a. he wordly remembered "CS solidarity with the CCBI (expressed) in this afternoon press conference"!  Is this "solidarity" our new priority ?
No doubt for Prof. Swaminathan's speech if it was to happen in Tunis, especially if the indian CS (and I appreciate especially the "Grassroot initiative" and some Indian fellows such as Parminder) endorses its content or themes and lets this know to us, the "outside" CS members (I ean outside of the actual CS speakers nominating process).
Kind regards and once again, many thanks for your support during last PrepCom.
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT
NB : I'll consider your suggestion for more involving myself in the WG on Working Methods (in fact I attended two meetings of this WG during PC3. I'm aware of the importance of its work, even if it's now too late for the WSIS process itself. But this would be quite different if there is a follow-up process....

> Message du 12/10/05 03:23
> De : "Laina Raveendran Greene"
> A : plenary at wsis-cs.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : RE: [WSIS CS-Plenary] speakers list transmitted to the ITU

Dear Jean-Louis,

I do understand your frustration and I am pleased to have met you and heared your interventions in Geneva.

HAving said that, we all know that CS is not one voice but many. This is the reason we have caucuses. Again, my point why we should have had caucuses at the least nominate people they feel spoke for their group at the least. I also agree with the point raised by another person on another note that for well known influential people in their field, such as Prof Swaminathan (the father of the Green Revolution in India and very well known for his ICT4D projects in India, it would not be wise to get his speech vetted by an armophous group of peoplewith different voices and who are people with the time and resource to attend PrepCom. For others, maybe I agree with your point, especially if they appear to speak for their caucus, they should at least get the caucus point of view.

I understand that you are frustrated with the current process, and I share many of your sentiments. I also feel that perhaps we could give some perspective that we are now in the midst of the reshaping of a "new form of cooperation" not just with governments, but amongst CS.

I think you may want to be involved on the mailing list of the Working Methods group to get us better organised even though it may appear to be too late. The whole WSIS process has taken NGO participation in the UN to another level (not as much as we would have liked) and we should build upon it. Much ofwhat we learn there could also be used to build on learnings the Internet community has learnt on how to create some level of legitimacy, accountability, etc.

I know this does not give you answers but I just thought we could find a way to tap your points into making the future better, hopefully. Perhaps even WSIS Tunis.

Regards,
LAina