[WSIS CS-Plenary] VIVE LES FEMMES

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Wed Oct 12 13:32:32 BST 2005

If we are to talk about women in key positions in government, let's
not forget Canada , eh!

Here in Canada we too have women in prominent positions - in case you
don't already know, the head of of supreme court is a woman (where
there's almost a gender balance) . More inspiring, and perhaps of
interest to Africans is that our newly installed  governor general is
not only a woman, but also born in Haiti - making her the first black
governor general we've ever had. Her story is truly inspirational.
Details below.

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean [english]

http://www.gg.ca
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/08/03/gg050803.html

http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/actualite/nouvelles/
200508/04/001-actualite-bio-michaelle-jean.shtml
Michaëlle Jean est devenue la 27e gouverneure générale du Canada,
lors d'une cérémonie qui s'est déroulée au Sénat le 27 septembre.
Elle a succédé à Adrienne Clarkson.

Née à Port-au-Prince, en Haïti, Michaëlle Jean part pour le Québec à
l'âge de 11 ans, en 1968, avec sa famille, qui fuit le régime
dictatorial de François Duvalier.

The Beverley McLachlin, Chief Justice of Canada

http://www.scc-csc.gc.ca/aboutcourt/judges/mclachlin/index_e.asp
[english]
http://www.scc-csc.gc.ca/aboutcourt/judges/mclachlin/index_f.asp
[french]