[Wsis-pct] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] CS speakers from ITU for opening, roundtable and high level panel

Richard M. Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Oct 14 06:10:16 BST 2005

    an alternate name, one that keeps the regional balance  could be Mark
    Shuttleworth from South Africa. He's definitely higher profile than
    Marzouk and is also one of the key persons behind the Ubuntu linux
    distribution.

Ubuntu and other "Linux distributions" are versions of the GNU
operating system (which contain Linux also).  GNU is the only
operating system ever developed as a campaign for freedom and
community, but forthright discussion of such issues makes some feel
uncomfortable.  Shuttleworth, like most of those who call the system
"Linux", push those issues into the background.

To the extent that civil society considers that involvement in the
distribution of GNU is a valid reason in favor of a certain speaker,
shouldn't this apply most strongly to those who stand by the ethical
ideals that motivated the work itself?

I am not the only free software supporter who can express these ideas.
I could suggest people from Latin America, Europe, India, and South
Africa--one being Federico Heinz.  Whether any of these people are
going to WSIS, I don't know (though I can ask if you want).  I do know
that I am planning to be there.