[WSIS CS-Plenary] Moving forward on Shirin Ebadi

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Oct 14 16:00:00 BST 2005

Il giorno ven, 14-10-2005 alle 08:46 -0400, Robert Guerra ha scritto:
> bertrand, doesn't Iran also mention that discussions be multiaternal
> and democratic - the code word for "only governments". I have, in the
> internet governance sub-committee and working groups where i've heard
> them speak never heard them specifically include "civil society".
>
> if you have heard them specifically mention CS, please - let us know.

Actually, during one of the open WGIG consultations, Mr Seadat took the
floor to explicitly mention that the term "multilateral" had to be
intended in broad sense and also include the meaning of
"multistakeholder". Of course, as far as I understand, they still insist
that different stakeholders have to have different roles and powers.

> we seem to have consensus. I have not heard from anyone that opposes
> Ebadi. In fact, speakers that have been proposed for the opening were
> more than happy to cede their nomination over to Ebadi. That's an
> honourable thing to do

I actually think that there has not been a single objection to this
nomination, not even by the previous nominees (they are actually
supportive of the change), so if I were chairing this particular process
I would have no hesitation in calling for an adoption by rough
consensus.