[WSIS CS-Plenary] On conditional support to Shirin Ebadi

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Mon Oct 17 03:31:48 BST 2005

I am not sure if I am supposed to make a comment on this matter, but
I cannot help express my reaction.

I fully agree with both wha Elizabeth wrote below and also what
Hiroshi responded.

I don't think any caucus/working group can and should dictate the substance
of the speech by our speaker. But by the same token, if we, the Civil
Society, are to recommend a speaker, she or he is expected to at least
listen to the issues or voices from the constituencies in a reasonable
manner.

What Meryem implied or indicated sounds like that is not
the case. I hope there is some misunderstandings and Ms. Ebadi
will be given full messages from us, especially from the voices
of minorities or excluded, not filtered or blocked. I am sure
Ms. Ebadi is such a person of careful listener.

And I don't think their supports be treated as "conditional".
They are very reasonable endorsements.

respectfully,

izumi