[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS Speaker Background Information and Recommendation of Ms. Abadi

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 17 17:00:34 BST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

The following memo was directed to the WSIS Executive Secretariat
today on behalf of the selection committee.  The background
information on the recommended speakers is a large file (over 1 Meg)
so I have uploaded it here:

     http://www.ngocongo.org/ngomeet/WSIS/Tunisspeakerbios101705.doc

Regards,

Rik Panganiban

> Yoshio Utsumi
> Secretary-General
> World Summit on the Information Society
>

> Dear Mr. Utsumi:
>
> Please find attached to this letter the recommended list of civil
> society speakers with relevant background information for the
> various speaking slots allotted to civil society during the World
> Summit on the Information Society from November 16-18, 2005 in
> Tunis, Tunisia.
>
> In addition, we understand that Ms. Shirin Abadi has been nominated
> by numerous caucuses and civil society organizations to speak at
> the opening ceremony of the WSIS (please see attachments 2 and 3).
> The selection committee has deliberated on this request, and it
> recommends that Ms. Abadi address the opening ceremony on behalf of
> civil society. We note the reservation of the representative of the
> Arab caucus to this recommendation.
>
> We also inform you that Ms. Renata Bloem and Mr. Roberto Bissio,
> whom we had earlier recommended for the opening ceremony, have both
> indicated to us their support for Ms. Abadi and their willingness
> to step aside to allow Ms. Abadi to speaking at the opening.  Thus
> we would request that Ms. Renata Bloem and Mr. Roberto Bissio be
> considered for other speaking slots along with our other
> recommendations.
>
> We thank you for this opportunity to make the following
> recommendations, and trust that it will receive your careful
> consideration.  Please contact us if we can provide any further
> assistance or guidance.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Rik Panganiban
> On behalf of the Civil Society Selection Committee
>

> ATTACHMENTS:
> 1. Background information on recommended speakers from civil society
> 2. Letter from Human Rights Caucus recommending Ms. Shirin Abadi
> dated 12 October 2005
> 3. List of endorsing entities to Ms. Abadi’s recommendation (as of
> 16 October 2005)

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United
Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524