[WSIS CS-Plenary] monitoring MSP post_wsis initiative

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Oct 26 19:12:24 BST 2005

Claudia:
It is a good idea. One point I would wish to emphasize is that for
those interested in Internet governance, there are both channels for CS
participation and a pressing need for participation in ICANN. As the
global community attempts to modify ICANN in various ways, it is
important that these voices be brought inside of Internet identifier
governance, where they can have a direct impact.

>>> claudia.padovani at unipd.it 10/26/2005 1:19 AM >>>
Following Francis note on UNESCO,this note is to draw your attention to
an
initiative which we think could be of interest in preparing for Tunis,
acknowledging all the controversies and shortcomings of this final
phase.

The idea, just in infant stage at the moment, is to set up monitoring
initiative on multi-stakeholder dimension of whatever will come out of
Tunis
at national (and international) level after wsis, as a way to keep
people
connected while putting pressure on governments and bringing input to
whatever mechanism will be set up.

We believe there is some potential to keep the energy of the civil
society
constitutency that developed around WSIS while one of the risks we are
facing now is not to have any sustainability after Tunis for the broad
mobilization worldwide. We believe a sound proposal from different CS
groups, with a loose trans-national structure but some connection (to
be
discussed) to the institutional setting, can show that we have some
knowledge, competence and will to seriously foster MSP at various
levels, as
a way to promote more participatory practices in communication
governance.

We aim at developing principles, criteria, indicators and a monitoring
mechanisms to "look after" the post-Tunis phase, building on former
experiences and existing frameworks to be adapted to the specific
policy
areas emerging from WSIS Implementation.

As Tunis is coming closer, we would very much appreciate your feedback
on:

the idea itself; the proposed initiative; the why, what, who and how;
and eventually your own interest in supporting this exercise (through
knowledge exchange as well as in promoting the initiative further and
cooperate directly).

We are planning to use the coming weeks refine the proposal, start
reviewing
existing frameworks, contact those peoples who have done work on this
and
come to Tunis with something that can be discussed, refined and
promoted
broadly.

Please go to the WSIS MSP site to see the draft of the initiative -
http://www.wsis-msp.org/msmi_wsis/ (also in attach). Comments and
suggestions are most welcome.

With best regards

Claudia Padovani