[WSIS CS-Plenary] Additional Prepcom 3 information

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Sun Sep 18 23:06:36 BST 2005

Hi all,

Thanks Rik for the info, specially useful for those unable to be in
Geneva (yet).
Have you been provided with any explanation on this:

Le dimanche, 18 sep 2005, à 17:40 Europe/Paris, Rik Panganiban a écrit :
> Charles Geiger noted that participants travelling through the Charles
> de Gaulle airport in Paris might experience more difficulties entering
> Tunisia than those entering via London, Hamburg or other European
> airports.

?? I often travel to Tunisia from Paris-CDG and have never noticed any
difficulty or special formalities, specially since all passengers
arriving at Tunis-Carthage airport are directed to the same big space
for border control. So, either there is a misunderstanding here, or
special border control will be in place for the summit.
In any case, if you travel to Tunisia from/through Paris, you may
depart from any of the two airports, depending on the airlines,
Paris-CDG used by Air France and Paris-Orly used by Tunisair.

And "high season" rates in Tunis hotels ? Only in Tunis or in Hammamet
too ? Or will Hammamet seem more affordable than Tunis, e.g. for CS
participants ?!

Let me also add my own information on the Tunis Summit preparation:

I hope that these unexpected additional benefits for hotels will
contribute to pay the 4 millions of Tunisian dinars (2.5 millions
euros, 3.8 millions CHF or 3 millions US$) that will be spent on the
programme of "urban aesthetic" in the WSIS location surroundings [La
Presse, main governemental French speaking daily newspaper, Sept. 9],
only for the pleasure of your (our) eyes, distinguished WSIS
participants.

In any case, WSIS will not make happy Tunis hotel managers only, but
also Tunis and Hammamet region students: "Exceptional holidays on the
occasion of the WSIS : November 16th, 17th and 18th, 2005 (for
university institutions of Big Tunis governorates and Nabeul
governorate)".

This occurring right after five days (Nov 3-7) off due to official
annual holidays, and 3 days off due to one of the main muslim feast
(Aid El Fitr, end of Ramadhan fasting month, which will occur some days
only before WSIS) [http://www.universites.tn/anglais/index.htm].

Nabeul governorate includes the city of Hammamet: in case Tunis and
Nabeul university students have ever thought to gather in their
universities to discuss WSIS (or whatever do...), they wont have the
opportunity to do that, since their universities will be closed.
Additional benefit, those who on the contrary will accept to form the
"huge tunisian civil society at WSIS" wont loose any workday.

Best,
Meryem