[WSIS CS-Plenary] Prepcom III entangled in debate on Human Rights in China

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 19 11:11:56 BST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

At the opening plenary of Prepcom III this morning, the list of recommended entities for accreditation to the WSIS was introduced.  A subsequent debate began on the question of the accreditation of the NGO "Human Rights in China."  The following are my quick notes on the exchange.

USA
The US delegation asked for clarification on why Human Rights in China was not accredited.

UK, on behalf of EU
We express concern about Human Rights in China on accreditation as well.

Charles Geiger, WSIS Executive Secretariat
He explained that the ES bound by document “arrangements for accreditation.”  We need to receive a list of contributions and sources, including government sources.  We have received a thick application from Human Rights in China.  Their list of donors includes anonymous donors.  Thus their file is not complete.

USA
Moved that Human Rights in China be accredited.

China
Asked how many entities that put forward applications were not included on the list?

Geiger
Note that they don’t have the full list.  In every prepcom there are usually several dozen NGOs that we could not recommend because their applications were not complete.  In Prepcom III, we had at least 50 NGOs who applied and whose files were not complete.

China
Let us not waste time on this.  We are only against those so-called NGOs with dubious governmental links.  Proposed that Prepcom III do not discuss those organizations which are not included on this list.

Canada
The document does not ask for “full disclosure” but only a “list of contributors” which they have provided.

Cuba
We are satisfied with ES explanation.  Let us not waste time on this.

Chair
We have an option of a vote.  This could take an hour.  I will lead informal consultations myself.

China
We asked procedural question first about whether or not we should re-open the accreditation list.  Instead of informal negotiations, let us take a decision right now.

UK
We agree with chair to enter into informal discussions to save time.

China
This is the first time that a prepcom has considered an organization that is outside the list of accredited entities.  This is a precedent.

Chair
My understanding is that we are talking about one organization only.

China
Let me talk about this organization.  It has done nothing on the promotion of human rights in China.  It should be called “Human Rights in China in the United States.”  It refuses to disclose its contributors.
	We call for procedural vote on whether prepcom has authority to re-open list of accredited organizations.

Chair
We suspend the meeting for five minutes.

The meeting was suspended at 1200 hours.

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator

Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524