[WSIS CS-Plenary] Statement to today's Inter-Governmantal Bureau meeting with Civil Society Bureau

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Wed Sep 21 09:36:35 BST 2005

Civil Society Discussion Points
Tunis Summit Preparations & the WSIS Implementation Phase

Presented at PrepCom 3, September 2005
to the WSIS Inter-Governmental Bureau

This note follows and builds on the document submitted to the Inter-
Governmental Bureau, by the Civil Society Bureau, shortly after
PrepCom 2. This note is framed within the mandate of the Civil
Society Bureau which is to mange matters of logistics and procedures.
Matters of content and themes are dealt with in the daily Content and
Themes meeting of the civil society pleanary.

1.  Mutli-Stakholder Approach

We appreciate the interaction at Bureau level, which is enabled in
the context of PrepComs, and hope this can be continued beyond the
WSIS process, within the framework of any post WSIS mechanisms. We
look forward to being informed of Government Bureau decisions and to
future meaningful interaction.

Previously we requested active engagement in the decision thinking
and decision making stages of preparation for the Summit. Although we
acknowledge that our input has been received, considered and in
several aspects, acted upon, we strongly submit that we have
expertise and a complementary perspective that has not been fully
realised through face-to-face participation. We reiterate this
request and offer an assurance that Civil Society has the capacity to
self organise appropriate and highly skilled representation in this
regard.

Having said that, Civil Society is concerned that there is an erosion
of commitment to the much-lauded multi-stakeholder approach for which
WSIS has been acclaimed. Although the spirit remains in the WSIS
process, we are concerned that it is gradually and subtly being
eroded in practise and in texts. There is as yet, no clear commitment
to its continuation within WSIS follow up. Multi-stakeholder process
is a significant achievement within WSIS, and stands as a model for
other UN negotiations. We ask the Inter-Governmental Bureau to
promote it in WSIS related formats and more broadly as a mechanism
for global governance.

2. Connectivity at WSIS, Tunis

Internet Access:

We appreciate that Internet access will be available at the Summit.
Internet access is a basic tool of work for civil society, indeed for
the Information and knowledge societies that we are constructing. The
high cost of connectivity at the Geneva Summit was a severe
impediment to the work of civil society. The travel and accommodation
costs of participation for civil society members are already high and
we ask for your support in ensuring that additional costs are minimised.

Virtual Participation and Meeting Spaces:

There is a high level of interest in virtual participation that we
believe must be catered for. We reiterate our request for all key
meetings and events to be organised to enable virtual participation
by interested parties who will not be able to attend the Summit in
person.

3. Documentation and Press Conferences

Press conferences:

We bring to your attention the allocation of daily press conference
time at the Summit, for civil society. This is a very positive
indication that different actors in the WSIS process are implementing
the multi-stakeholder process and enabling a plurality of voices to
express their diverse interpretations of information and knowledge
societies. We commend the ITU Communications Department.

4. Final Summit Documents

Civil Society seeks Summit outcome documents that reflect the views
of all parties to the negotiations. We recognise that any other
outcome would diminish the climate of multi-stakeholder process. We
note that some of our ideas have been included in texts to date, and
will continue to seek a process that moves our input to impact. We
have not taken a decision to develop a separate text. However, we
still reserve the possibility, that should our input not be clearly
reflected in a multi-stakeholder document, of issuing a separate
document. In this event, we would like such a document to be
appended, as in Phase 1 of WSIS, to the Summit Declaration.
Additionally, in the event of a separate document from Civil Society
being produced, we request a specific time to present this to the
Government plenary at the Summit.

5. Financing of Civil Society

The matter of financing Civil Society participation needs to be
planned and catered for with adequate time to prepare quality
outcomes. Civil Society participants seek assistance in advance on
two levels – that of fellowships for attendance and participation and
for events and projects that will enable innovation in the exhibition
and parallel event platforms. We ask that neutral institutions such
as UN-NGLS distribute all funding for civil society.

In particular civil society requests information on the commitment by
the Tunisian Government of 400,000 Dinars for civil society
participation. We applaud this allocation but call for urgent
information on how this fund will be used in relation to travel,
accommodation and subsistence and how it will be announced and
distributed. We understand this fund will be targeted to support
participants from least developed countries and young people. We call
for it to include support for people in developing nations,
especially those who have been active in the WSIS process.

We call upon other governments to follow the lead of the Tunisian
Government and make complementary allocations to civil society
participation.

7. Regional Follow up to WSIS

We ask the Inter-governmental Bureau to call upon Governments to
facilitate and support future regional Information and knowledge
societies events that arise from the WSIS process. We ask that the
right of freedom of assembly be ensured for such meetings, before,
during and after the Tunis Summit.

8. Liaison with WSIS Executive Secretariat

Civil Society has additional items to raise that relate to the
logistics of the Summit. These include matters of visas, document
importation and immunity, which we understand will be covered by the
host country agreement. We appreciate and acknowledge the positive co-
operation between civil society and the Executive Secretariat and its
commitment to informing civil society about the host country
agreement, which it is anticipated, will be signed during PrepCom 3.
In the light of this, these matters are not detailed in this document.

9. Conclusion

In conclusion, we thank you again for this forum and warmly welcome
your response and feedback on both the matters in this note and on
any other matters relating to civil society that you would wish to
express.

Verbal presentation of above by Tracey Naughton, Chair of the Civil
Society Bureau

PrepCom 3 September 20th, 2005