[WSIS CS-Plenary] Draft Statement for Sub-Committee B- Inclusion Issues

Sylvia Caras sylvia at peoplewho.org
Wed Sep 21 15:37:15 BST 2005

At 08:41 PM 9/20/05, Elizabeth Carll, PhD wrote:
>It is essential that if we are attempting to hold government and businesses
>accountable for providing what they promise, it needs to be specific and
>written in such a way as not to create giant loopholes to circumvent the
>intent of outcome documents, declarations and other written commitments.

>It is also my understanding, why we have experts (hopefully) provide input
>in various thematic and specialty areas.  I would not assume I know enough
>about intellectual property and legal aspects of privacy laws, to insist
>on changing language.

There are often unintended consequences and specificity can create those also.

Any listing, by its very nature, omits items not listed.

I want to argue that there is a right to communication, that individuals
have a right to all information that affects them.

All means all.  If we specify health information, then I can read the list
and say oh, then people don't have a right to their credit history.  If I
specify health and financial, I can argue that people don't have a right to
their arrest history, ...  If, further, I divide a category by, for health,
saying physical and mental, I open up more areas for exclusion, not
inclusion.  For instance, currently in US law many people with disabilities
are not allowed access to their own unedited health records.

 > It was Sylvia's recommendation to then recommend the exclusion of
physical and mental health information.

That isn't what I meant to say.  I objected to the qualifier.  If there's
an appropriate place to single out health information, I'm OK with
that.  What I resist is carving out mental health, talking about physical
and mental health, instead of health.

Although I don't add my credentials usually, like most on this list, I too
am an expert in the advocacy area.  I would hope my ideas would stand for
themselves, but if you'd like some sense of who I am and what I do, and a
few links to presentations and papers,
http://www.peoplewho.org/sylvia/resume.htm

And as long as I'm getting personal, come wish me a
<http://sylviaisseventy.blogspot.com/>Happy Seventieth Birthday at the blog.

Sylvia