[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS statement on privacy & Internet governance

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 22 09:40:01 BST 2005

Hi all,

below find the statement I will make in subcommittee A later this morning
on behalf of the CS Privacy & Security Working Group.

Best, Ralf

-----------------------

PrepCom-3, Subcommittee A on Internet Governance
WSIS Civil Society Privacy and Security Working Group
Statement on Internet Governance and Privacy

Only if everyone can use the Internet freely without fear of constant
observation, recording and monitoring, can it become an infrastructure
that leads to a “people-centred, inclusive and development-oriented
Information Society” that we all envisioned at the first WSIS summit in
Geneva.

Consequently, we fully support the findings and recommendations of the
WGIG, with their clear statements on the importance of privacy protection
in an ever more connected world. We endorse their message that we may
simultaneously create a secure and free Information Society.

However, the lack of globally enforceable rules continues to be an
impediment to reaching our goal of adequate privacy protection on the
Internet. We fully support the WGIG-recommendation to encourage countries
to develop clear legal frameworks with the participation of all stakeholders.

Last week, the world’s data protection and privacy commissioners convened
in Montreux and reached the same conclusion. We join them in their
Montreux Declaration appealing “to the United Nations to prepare a legal
binding instrument which clearly sets out in detail the rights to data
protection and privacy as enforceable human rights.”  We also support the
suggestion of the International Working Group on Data Protection in
Telecommunications in yesterday’s letter to you, Mr. Chair, calling for a
global Privacy Forum as a result of the Tunis Summit.

We therefore encourage the Tunis summit to adopt a commitment to develop a
legal framework that ensures the rights to privacy and data protection for
all citizens within the Information Society. This echoes commitments taken
by the Iberoamerican summit of Santa Cruz in 2003, the summit of Countries
that share French language of Ouagadougou in 2004, and the Declaration on
Human Rights and the Rule of Law in the Information Society adopted by the
Council of Europe in 2005. Building from all the work of those who have
come before, we now have the opportunity to develop a free and democratic
Internet.

We will submit written language in order to help the subcommittee finalize
its work on this important part of the Tunis documents.