[WSIS CS-Plenary] Statement for tomorrow from the IG caucus

Kicki Nordström kino at iris.se
Thu Sep 22 16:45:06 BST 2005

Dear freinds,

I have prepared a statement for tomorrow plenary session on behalf of the internet Governace caucus  and the disability caucus.
Any comments?

Kicki Nordström
World Blind Union
Immediate Past  President
c/o SRF Iris AB
122 88 Enskede
Sweden
Tel: +46 (0)8 399 000
Fax: +46 (0)8 725 99 20
Cell: +46 (0)70 766 18 19
E-mail: kino at iris.se <mailto:kino at iris.se>

My name is Kicki Nordström, and I represent World Blind Union and the disability Caucus and the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus.

There are at least 600 Million persons with disabilities in the world! We do have the same need and desires as everybody else.

We believe that the Internet's value is created for serving all people in the world.

The Internet is global and Persons with disabilities are part of that global system. Unfortunately we are left aside due to lack of unified standards.

Lack of a unified standard system for ICT have lead to development of expensive and insufficient applications and adaptation programs, to meet the immediate need for persons with disabilities.

It is not acceptable in the long run that we shall go on and design ICT in a way which create a need for applications and adaptation for some persons.

ISO, International Standard Organization, has over some years now, worked on a Universal Design concept, in order to find solutions for a useable standard for all persons, without a need for extra adaptations or applications.

Applications, for instance the screen reading program I use for operate my computer is double or three times so expensive as my laptop, as such. Due to the high cost, which only Persons with disabilities are deemed to pay, not anyone else.

It is now the responsibility for governments and the  producers of ICT to commit themselves to adopt the Universal design  concept.

It is, in this forum that governments must commit themselves to adopt and support the Universal design approach.

We need a text to secure our full and equal participation saying that "ICT should be appropriate, accessible and affordable for all and applied to the universal designed concept".

<mailto:kino at iris.se>