[WSIS CS-Plenary] sub-committee A - ongoing issues

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Thu Sep 22 18:02:20 BST 2005

Adam and all,

Very useful synopsis.  With the rhetoric from governments about
transparency, every government that mentioned transparency in any statements
etc, must agree to number 3 or really nothing more than disingenuous
rhetoric. This should be a strong lobbying point.  Transparency and closed
doors are contradictory.

Even if the 3rd option is not agreed to, this point must be pressed and
publicized for all future PrepComs and summits.  This point should not be
negotiable from a CS perspective,  as there is no transparency with out at
the very least CS, PS and international organizations  able to observe the
proceedings.

Perhaps some very basic issues which are problematic and cross cut all
summits and PrepComs should become a strong focal point for future
continuous lobbying.  (eg, including an interactive dialogue with CS prior
to the UNGA meeting in June.)

Appreciate all that those onsite are doing on behalf of  CS.

Elizabeth

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies;
UN NGO Committee on Mental Health;
Communications Coordination Committee for the UN
Tel: 1631-754-2424
Fax: 1631-754-5032
ecarll at optonline.net