[WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: today's record of subcomB

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 23 08:32:51 BST 2005

Thanks to Lenka for providing these notes on Sub Committee B
yesterday afternoon.

Note that we continue to need volunteers to monitor the morning and
afternoon sessions to send their notes to the Plenary list so we can
all benefit from it.

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Lenka Simerska <lenka at apcwomen.org>
> Date: September 22, 2005 1:37:41 PM EDT
> To: rikp at earthlink.net
> Subject: today's record of subcomB
>

> Hi all,
> here is a record of SubComB Sep.22 from short before they started
> working on the text until 5:30 pm.
> Lenka
>

> Zambia - about bilateral and multilateral assistance
> 15 minutes discussion
> Cuba proposed additional para to propose new 14B or 15
> para 10B DT2 rev3
>
> USA
> page 16 DT2 rev3 new 10A
> is not consistent with spirit of WSIS, unnecessary politisation of
> the process and should be deleted
>
> Cuba
> para 9
> DT2 rev3
> proposal during prepcom2
>
> EU25 plus Romania and Bulgaria
> - not open debates that already happened in prepcom2
> - new 9A too much detail, its not relevant
>
> Russia
> didn't forsee that 9 will be discussed, its confusing
> for 7,8,9,10 they have proposals
> in 7 delete proposal of human rights group, in 10 delete "full"
> participation of CS on page 21
> will give in writing
> anex issue
>
> Chair
> the discussion was ment to be on 10, 11
> we don't discuss specific paragraphs, we want input
> yesterday russia proposed an adhoc group - will discuss what this
> group should do and propose at the end of today
> do we need ad hoc group?

> AD HOC GROUP
>
> Russia
> to see views to avoid a number of squere brackets
> regional organisations, UN agencies, stakeholders should be in the
> group
>
> EU
> does not see a need of adhoc group for para 14, GFC already had
> meetings
>
> Chair
> not everyody was in that group of GFC and these should have a
> chance to input
>
> Nicaragua
> support russia in setting up adhoc group, its a very important
> paragraph
>
> Canada
> intergov. organisations and stakeholders cannot negotiate
>
> xyz
> GFC did not negotiate, didn't have a mandate, now there should be
> negotiations
>
> Holy See
> support creation of working group, indicate clearly the distingtion
> between this group and GFC; GFC was open to stakeholders, how this
> one will be different
>
> Chair
> prepcom can establish working groups, there are clear procedures
> for prepcom, this is not a problem
>
> Algeria
> its premature to speak about working group, in the morning many
> were against because of small numbers of delegations

> [...]

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United
Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524