[WSIS CS-Plenary] bureau legitimacy- HR caucus method of work

west westasiaregion at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 23 10:30:04 BST 2005

Dear Avri

Thanks for raising this important point, there is no higher legitimacy or
upper hand by CSB to plenary. But for practical reasons and to help the CS
to work more effectively the CSB has tried to suggest methods of working and
procedure. The reason that a working group on working methods was setup, was
exactly to deal with these issue. For practical reasons and previous
experience we could not at the same time discuss an issue in the plenary and
at the same time use the one hour time to share information, we will reach
no where. I personally believe as there is a CT plenary, they could discuss
content and approve or disapprove texts or statements, but we could not
share a statement in the plenary and request a consensus or decision on it,
this need it be carefully reviewed and discussed. Who is able to vote, just
show of hands is enough? what is the voting method, how many from how many
NGOs? you could see that this is a delicate issue. Imagine in future you may
have such a plenary in another country which the NGOs from that country have
the majority of the room, then how you could vote? if there is a sensitive
statement such as this, just imagine if this plenary was in China and the HR
caucus statement in HRIC was shared then, do you think that plenary has the
legitimacy to decide on the statement, with majority being GONGOS?

Well, the logical and legitimize way in this cases is to request CS entities
to individually sign the statements and petitions. Is UN procedure and
legitimate process.
I personally wish to express my deep concern and objection to the way that
HR caucus works and everytime their tactic is to disrupt the process (maybe
unintentionally). They could come to the plenary, read whatever text they
want and request signature, not requesting plenary with different views and
people and different kind of NGOs to reach consensus on their text in 15
minutes!!!, even without being able to read their text beforehand. Their
Text on HRIC was good to my point and I could endorse it on behalf on my
NGO, but I wish to object to the process of their work.

For example, yesterday, the HR caucus have a general meeting with 7-8 people
on the panel, and at end it was 5-10 minutes time were given for the
audience to share their views, later on CT plenary give them another 15
minutes to discuss more, which was not at all enough. We should practice
human rights, not just talk about it. I propose that different HR groups
meet each other again and try to discuss their issues and problems in a calm
and professional way(which I doubt!), if needed CSB will try to help and
mediate as requested.

Best
Amir