[WSIS CS-Plenary] (no subject)

Jane Johnson jane at una.dk
Fri Sep 23 18:15:22 BST 2005

 Dear all

As promised please find below as promised the sketch report on the
consultation this noon. I am just forwarding the report as it was given to
me.

Jane

Sketch Report from informal consultations on stakeholder participation.

Karklins:

Started by saying that this should be a 1 time solution, setting no
precedence. WSIS is not a typical summit – because of inclusiveness and
multistakeholder participation. However we are guided by the UN constitution
and rules of procedure esp. rule 44.

Pakistan then spoke about the possibility of creating drafting groups. We
are in a grey zone – moments when what rules should apply.

Karklins then proceeded with 2 suggestions:

1. A GFC type option – CS in the room but leave at the finalizing of the
drafting

2. Non Proliferation Treaty – constructive ambiguity. The chair decides.
Otherwise we are silent observers. 1 guest from each observer group would be
allowed in the room.

Several Countries:  including African grp. Iran, Brazil, South Korea
Algeria, Russia and China (not necessarily in that order) – said that there
was no precedents, this is a UN process, we must stick to the rules of
procedure. Negotiations are done only by governments.

Other Countries: This is a process about openness and transparency, and that
we all benefited from the process of exchange and producing language.

Canada: compromise – discretionary power left up to the chair.

Karklins:
Didn’t feel that there was a consensus. So his suggestion was that:
observers speak and leave + chair informs other stakeholders on the results
of drafting, before consideration by the subcommittee.

2 CS positions:

Divina – there as education TF coordinator and as such, member of the
Bureau. We understood the positions of the nation states at this point of
the negotiations. We would push at least for option 2, because in order to
make meaningful input we need to have observers that report back. And maybe
there could be a bureau to bureau meeting on procedures and how to report
back. Point of clarification on: what happens to the CS members of the
delegations – confidentiality.

Only point 2 was picked up. Karklins read from rules and procedures that:
The delegations can take all their delegates

in the drafting process.
Pakistan reinforced this point at the end.

APC said that there was no way CS claimed to be doing negotiations and
referred to section 32.2 about the possibility to observe and report.

1 observer from Internet Society representing a whole group of internet
interests including ICANN. The Internet community had created the Internet.
Internet had allowed for new forms of participation and will continue to do
so. There should be no fear of participation by stakeholders.

Karklins answered that the summit was not just about the Internet.

At the moment Russia has to go back and consult with her delegation. 3
drafting groups formed by Khan. The principle of full partnership has not
passed
.although we it seems we might be allowed in.