[WSIS CS-Plenary] speaking slots for summit

conchita poncini conchita.poncini at bluewin.ch
Sat Sep 24 12:33:00 BST 2005

Dears Rik and Laina,

Congratulations Rik for your clear and simple way of explaining the process, what is at stake and the holistic implications to the Millennium Development Goals.

I see that Laina has taken on board in her comments our conversations on the feelings that there are the "elites" who seem to be dominating the process and somehow not aware that there are many civil society from the South and from the North as well (to a certain extent) whose opinions are not being heard or taken into account (since many of the results of the interactive dialogue is by e-mail or Internet), either because they are not E-connected as many do not have laptops in Geneva or Internet facilities where they can interact. (I have observed that this has been taken for granted to a large extent in this process). Many are also non-English speaking who do not understand the language and even if there is interpretation are nevertheless feeling intimidated and overwhelmed.

On the other hand, there are those who are technical experts and others who are human rights experts and unfortunately have not yet created the symbiosis between these two expertise.

Body language, eye contact and voices are vital in this negotiation process and unfortunately are subject to misinterpretations, depending on the context, the economic power, the culture and language, the ability to speak in public, gender mindsets and the proper agenda of the organizations each represents. This is why the Ethics and Values Caucus made a statement to the Committee B and has prepared another on "Trusteeship" and "Shared Responsibility" which we wish to disseminate to the multistakeholders.

Once again thank you to both for your commitment and hard work.

Yours in solidarity,

Conchita

I will come to the Working Methods Meeting to bringf certain suggestions. .