[WSIS CS-Plenary] process, political, policy and interest outcomes in WSIS

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Sun Sep 25 11:29:04 BST 2005

Hello All, this is TracEy

None of what I have to contribute diminishes the work and
contribution of anyone active in WSIS CS.

Any group as large as WSIS CS will contain a variety of players. In
our case these range from multi-national NGOs and networks, to small
and medium NGOs constituted and funded in numerous ways, to interest
groups and individuals of many foci, to ICT development practitioners
to grassroots people, to name only the most obvious.

There will also be diversity of desired outcomes. This can range from
clear broad or specific policy outcomes to interest based inclusion
in the output of civil society work, to being host of a global
summit. This is coupled with a further layer of skill levels  - and
the skills range too, and can include technical and social orientations.

Of course, as has been pointed out, there is also a range of
knowledge of the way WSIS is unfolding, is operating, has operated
and differing levels of time and distance experience in WSIS. This is
a 3D policy process. Then there is the reality and circumstances that
we live in. Some live with affordable broad band and spend a great
deal of time on the Internet and understand its functions and
possibilities, some access email at cyber cafes at distance from
their homes and considerable proportional expense. Some have laptops,
some don't. CS reflects the divides that we are navigating.

At a principled level, as the veterans will know, we have
consistently called for 'human centred' information societies. I
believe that if a principle is called for, it should also be practised.

We have to weave a balance between policy and action outcomes and the
differing aspirations for the WSIS work. Everyone has a right to be
here - whether they own a laptop or have an email address, or not.

In my opinion, the gap between veterans and participants who arrive
at later stages, and large networks and coalitions and smaller
organisations, has been widening for some time. The attention to
inclusivity is diminishing. From where I sat chairing this last week
in the evening meetings I have been disappointed at the level of
mockery that is increasingly and openly being displayed by some of my
respected veteran colleagues. It should also be confirmed that the
speaking lists recorded in my notebook sees the same seven names
rotating night after night. Is this right or wrong? Its not about
that - we all have to live with our own practise, but it is always
worth reflecting on it and considering things from other perspectives.

Let's try to find a human centred process that foregrounds co-
operation and prioritises content development that reflects the
variety of desired outcomes.

On possible solutions:

I believed the initial focal points appointed last Monday were
mandated by 'the model' that was adopted, to form a team of four to
five facilitators within their tracks. Too much has been taken on by
too few who are now being seen to be promoting personal perspectives,
not track or caucus ones. Roles and responsibilities need to be
shared. Greater trust needs to be placed in the skills of actors who
are  reporting a feeling of being marginalised and in some cases
alienated.

I support Avri's suggestion of taking the structure of the
governments documents and filling them in ourselves. There isn't any
reason why we cannot list a variety of interest viewpoints either,
and attribute them to the originating CS group.  This calls for
drafting to be done by skilled wordsmiths who can include different
opinions as well as amalgamate them when that is possible. It will be
easier for governments to follow if we use their document structure. ;-)

At this stage we have not left the process for a journey in an
alternate outcome document, but even if we do we may need to reflect
diverse interests. If we work to the governments document structure
it can be presented to the Chairs and to delegations as source
material. If it becomes an alternate WSIS document it would be useful
to illustrate the difference between CS and governments outputs, to
have used the same structure.

Within our tracks A & B I believe we need a group of wordsmiths who
spend their whole time crafting text that can be followed
structurally by governments, yet records our diverse views - be they
interests or specific policy and action objectives. We would have to
play catch up but if we sell our document in the right way it can
still have impact and exist in its own right.

In addition to the wordsmiths who need to stay in one place all day
and write, we need others in each track to monitor (when we are in
the room) and report throughout the day, and others still to analyse,
to receive texts in whatever form CS groups generate them and to work
with the authors to place them in the structure of the document and
even to hold track meetings where input and context can be discussed
and formulated.

If we decided on such a process, then our orientation to and advocacy
for a 'talk and walk', 'walk and talk', walk, talk and balk or
whatever model, would become very clear and could be presented to the
WSIS Chair with a clear and comprehensive strategy behind the position.

Even if our position in this regard is not accepted lets not forget
that we are here to develop content in or out of a shared outcome
document and at the same time, we are writing multi-stakeholder
process for future UN negotiations and global governance.

warm regards

TracEy