[WSIS CS-Plenary] CSB Meeting - 23 Sept. 2005

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Sep 25 16:32:05 BST 2005

On 25 sep 2005, at 15.19, CONGO - Philippe Dam wrote:

> The CSB is concerned about the positioning of the Human Rights
> Caucus within the working mechanisms of WSIS Civil Society.

I find the CSB statement shocking in that it does not acknowledge the
counter pressure and attacks on the Human Rights caucus by those who
oppose human rights, both in their home countries and in the caucuses
and plenary of the CS at Prepcom.

The one sided condemnation by the Bureau does nothing to contribute
to CSB's stated mandate as a group that "enhances interaction between
all sections of civil society" as described in the CSB description to
be found AT http://www.wsis-cs.org/cs-overview.html. Rather it
supports the cynical methods of those who, at every turn, thwart any
rational discussion of human rights.

In its presumption that it has a mandate to criticize the actions of
the Human Rights caucus in such a one sided manner, it has, in my
opinion, over extended its mandate as the liaison group for civil
society.

Further, I sat in on part of that meeting and heard a few voices that
did not accept the viewpoint included in the CSB statement.  I find
it interesting that those in charge of the Bureau decided to voice
this viewpoint as if it were the opinion of the entire Bureau.

a.